Recency bias, and our overreaction to our latest game.

Viewing 3 reply threads

UnicycleUte
      Ute Fan
      @unicycleute

I have always found the psychology of fandom to be interesting.  I think that the recency bias is more prevalent in sports because fans get so emotional.  We ignore what our team has done over the course of the season and freak out over mistakes in our latest game.  It’s in our nature, but I think it is good to take a step back and look at the entirety of the season.

After the Oregon State game people were far too worried about our offense, and after the UCLA game people are far too worried about our defense.  We have weaknesses on offense (redzone efficiency), and we have issues on defense (thin linebacker corps), but our offense and defense are fairly solid when you look at the entirety of their work.

We have an exceptional run blocking o-line, a much improved receiving corps, a quarterback who throws a beautiful deep ball, and a couple solid running backs despite injuries.  If we get Tim Patrick back soon we will see an improved throw game.

Our defense definitely missed Tauteoli and Williams today, but Fogal stepped up and had a fairly solid game.  Our defensive backfield was burned, but they also came up with some huge interceptions.  In a game that tested our depth, we still came out with the win.  Our pass rush was subpar this game, but the D-line has been solid most of the year, and I expect them to be solid in the future.

We should appreciate this team while we have it.  This is a great year, and it’s amazing to see how much our depth has improved since we joined the Pac 12.  Can we beat Washington?  I guess we’ll see next week when Game Day comes to town, but I do know that this is one of the deepest and most talented teams I’ve seen at Utah, and I’m going to enjoy watching them play every week.

GO UTES!  BEAT WASHINGTON!

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

If you would have told me at the start of the year we’d be 7-1 at this point I’d have been ecstatic. If you would have said that came with the litany of injuries we’ve suffered I would have been incredulous. If you would have told me our primary competition for the PAC 12 South was Colorado, I’d have them measuring you for a strait jacket.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Oh ye of little faith. 

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Very well written and interesting first (I think) post!

UnicycleUte
        Ute Fan
        @unicycleute

I figured I would write a novel for my first post.

Utebeam
      Ute Fan
      @utebeam

We were at the game and UCLA decimated our backfield. They figured out we couldn’t defend the long ball and exploited it. If the defense doesn’t make adjustments, the UW game could be a disaster. When was the last time anyone put up 45 points on the Ute D? I’m afraid that we just don’t have the talent with our starters out to defend quality WR. Let’s hope that they get it figured out by Saturday.

It was awesome to see the O step up and carry the D. It was an awesome game and nice to see we can throw up big scores. Damn, if we had our normal D it would have been a route on UCLA.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Recency bias, and our overreaction to our latest game.