Sione Lund listed at 6’0” 244 lbs redshirt freshman

Viewing 3 reply threads

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

It will be interesting to see how he develops.

https://utahutes.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7328

FountainofUte
      Ute Fan
      @fountainofute

Is he eligible this season, or does he have to sit out?

Chidojuan
        Ute Fan
        @chidojuan

Says that he is eligible as of 2019, I wonder if he’ll still be able to play the 4 games though because of his redshirt.

UteThunder
          Ute Fan
          @utethunder

Because he redshirted at Stanford, he is not eligible for the new redshirt rule. He has to sit out the year per transfer rules. If he hadn’t redshirted at Stanford, then this year could count as his redshirt but he still wouldn’t be able to play the 4 games because of the transfer rules.

ironman1315
            Ute Fan
            @ironman1315

Can’t the NCAA waive that rule? And have they already made such a ruling?

UteThunder
              Ute Fan
              @utethunder

I’m not sure if I understand what you mean exactly, but the NCAA can grant a hardship exemption to allow for immediate eligibility. However, I haven’t heard of anything that would qualify Sione for such a waiver.

noneyadb
                Ute Fan
                @noneyadb

Even with the new rule allowing players to transfer and play immediately going into effect in October? One would think they should have a provision allowing players who transfered the year prior to be included in the new rule change?

UteThunder
                  Ute Fan
                  @utethunder

Transfers playing immediately? Do you have a link to that? My understanding of the new transfer rule is that schools/coaches can no longer block a transfer, meaning players can transfer wherever they want and be immediately eligible for financial aid. But they still have to sit out a year if they transfer unless they are a graduate transfer. 

RiseasUtes
                    Ute Fan
                    @riseasutes

This is true, still have to sit a year.  Now they can choose to go wherever and get on scholarship immediately instead of waiting a year if a coach won’t release the player(sorry for basically repeating you).

Longview
      Ute Fan
      @longview

my question is from the department of redundancy that brings you my question.

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

I believe Shaw released him. Isn’t he good to go? Conference something something?

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

I believe Shaw releasing him only allowed him to be on scholarship immediately instead of paying his own way this first year. 

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Sione Lund listed at 6’0” 244 lbs redshirt freshman