The Mustache's PAC-12 Power Rankings: Week 1

Viewing 3 reply threads

Wilson’s Mustache
      Ute Fan
      @sigmaute

This is how I rank the PAC-12 teams based solely off of their performances thus far. I am not projecting who I think is better, only how the teams look & performed.

Disclaimer: I’m on an iPad I’ll probably come back and add some more detail later.

My ranking & thoughts:

1. Washington – Easily looked the best overall. Bonus points for demolishing a P5 school albeit a bad one.

2. Colorado – Looked very much improved while embarrassing their Rival CSU. The game was never close & looked good on both sides of the ball. Not sure CSU is very good this year however.

3. Stanford – Looked pretty good overall against a middle of the pack BIG XII team.

4. ASU – Took some time to get going but the offense caught fire and took care of business how a P5 should against an FCS team.

5. Utah – Defense looked very good and the offense looked better at times. Bonus points for the only P5 team to pitch a shutout.

6. UCLA – Took TAMU to overtime in one of the most hostile environments in college football. I didn’t expect them to win going in therefore I’m not going to be as harsh on them as some people. Had the most difficult week 1 opponent outside of Alabama. Josh Rosen looked mediocre and probably lost them the game.

7. Oregon – Offense did fine, defense needs a lot of work.

8. California – Offense took a little while to get going against a team that got slaughtered by Michigan. Lost the battle on the line of scrimmage. Would have been much closer had Hawaii not turned it over 5 times.

9. Oregon State – was very competitive on the road against a decent P5 school. Had plenty of opportunities to win.

10. Arizona – Looked small & soft on defense. BYU should have scored more points. Their offense outside of s few big runs by Wilson looked dreadful. Not sure what happened but Anu looked more like a freshman in this game than he did as an actual freshman.

11. WSU – Also known as the third best team in the state of Washington. EWU is a good program and I have a lot of respect to them. That being said, a P5 program should not be losing to them, especially. Or one that was thought to being a contender of the North division title. Just another example of why scheduling FCS teams is a horrible idea.

12. USC – really what is there to say? They looked awful & they flat out quit. I’ve seen directional schools that have played Alabama tougher.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I’d put Utah over ASU for a myriad of reasons, but mainly because Utah had a more dominant win. ASU was up 10-0 at halftime. Utah was up 17-0 at halftime. Utah pitched a shutout. ASU gave up 13 points to a worse team.

ASU had 20 more offensive yards, yet gave up 267 more yards on defense.

I’d put it this way, if I was just solely ranking off resume:

1 – Eastern Washington – The most impressive win of the opening weekend. They beat a team that is supposed to win 9+ games, did it on the road, and their QB looked like the best QB in the country.
      2 – Washington – They looked great.
      3 – Stanford – They looked good, but vs a tough team.
      4 – UCLA – I rank them third because they took the game to OT, it was essentially a road game vs the SEC, and penalizing a team for a OT loss against a P5 school on the road is no bueno in my book. UCLA had the balls to schedule a good opponent. I do not penalize them because Colorado played a weak MWC team, Utah, Oregon, ASU and Cal played FCS teams (and Hawaii is essentially a FCS team).
      5 – Colorado – Very well done. They win the best of the rest winners because CSU is a G5 team and not a FCS team.
      6 – Utah – They utterly dominated SUU. Sure, we wish their offense was better, but their domination was the most impressive over any FCS team this week.
      7 – Oregon – They had the largest FCS halftime lead (by one point. They had a 18 point lead, Utah had a 17 point lead, but Utah’s defense gave up no scores, hence Utah is above them).
      8 – ASU – 10-0 at halftime? Boo.
      9 – Cal – Holy cow. That may be the worst looking blowout I’ve ever watched.
      10 – Oregon State – They looked so good and so bad at the same time.
      11 – USC – lol. But they get points for having the balls to go play Alabama.
      12 – Arizona – only 56 plays? Only 16 points? You freaking suck. I hate you Anu (in a joking way). He will look like Tim Tebow vs us.
      WSU – You don’t get a ranking. You don’t get a seat at this table. You suck for losing to a FCS team.

Anonymous
        Inactive

Eastern Washington number one?

UTE98
          Ute Fan
          @ute98

See right below #12, WSU didn’t deserve to be ranked, thus #13 by default.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Watch, WSU will come back and destroy Boise St this weekend. It’s what they do.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

@beehiveute

Yeah, they had the most impressive win this weekend. Washington played a crappy Rutgers team. Stanford played a Kansas St team that will struggle to make a bowl. EWU beat a team that is supposed to have 9+ wins and compete for the North.

They will disappear once WSU wins a game, but in all the PAC-12 games this weekend, that was the most impressive win. A&M probably had the second most impressive win, but screw the SEC. I’m not going to say anything nice about that conference.

My order of most impressive wins:

EWU
      A&M
      Stanford
      Washington
      Colorado, just because they have sucked so bad for so long.

The rest were not impressive at all. Weak opponents. In fact, for most of the other teams, you could argue that most disappointed.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football The Mustache's PAC-12 Power Rankings: Week 1