The players who should have transferred from the basketball team

Viewing 3 reply threads

Coreyc04
      Ute Fan
      @greenstormute

We’ll see if more transfers happen. I feel the Daniels transfer was a bad idea. I think Larry is going to regret that. 

I think Zamora transferring is what was a fine decision. He wasn’t going to get a ton of playing time next year.

I would say that Rawson should transfer. He isn’t a Pac 12 level player. He doesn’t do anything well. His shot is average at best and he isn’t a great screener.

Jakub Jokl should also transfer. He played almost no time. He still has a redshirt and I feel he will do better elsewhere and knowing our future recruits they will overshadow him completely.

Those 3 make sense. Losing Daniels is the worst transfer Larry has ever allowed. 

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Allowed or forced?

There was something going on and the average Joe Fan (myself included) does not know the backstory.   For all Daniel’s talent the Utes seemed to play worse when he was on the team than not.  So if that is the measuring stick, and it should be, I am behind Coach Kodiak on this one.

Coreyc04
        Ute Fan
        @greenstormute

We played best when he was at his best. We were average at best without him. 

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

Multiple sources have indicated that Daniels was a discipline issue and not a positive influence on the team.

Coreyc04
        Ute Fan
        @greenstormute

Then why did Larry let him play the last 2 games of the season?

AZswayze
          Ute Fan
          @AZswayze

Who knows? Maybe Daniels seemed like he was becoming more cooperative, then backslid during/after those two games. You don’t know, I don’t know, so it seems kinda silly to get so upset over a coach letting a guy go like this. Players like Daniels don’t come a dime a dozen, and I can’t imagine Coach K cutting ties without serious provocation. We bitch about coaches not being strict enough with players, and we bitch when they put their foot down.

PlainsUte
          Ute Fan
          @plainsute

My guess Coach Kodiak thought he had learned to be a better team player or whatever the issue was.   Maybe the issue was resolved but the team could not beat a team at the tourney who they had recently crushed at home, and then lost a first round NIT game at home.  With Daniels.   I don’t think the Utes lost a game while he was suspended.

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

Zamora and Daniels needed to go it was addition by subtraction.
      Daniels has talent but it doesn’t overshadow his attitude towards the Coaches and his teammates. There was one specific incident between Daniels and a Coach that got him suspended but it was a year long problem.

Zomora was a 20 minute a night player then he played less then 20 total vs Washington and Washington state at home. There is a reason why his playing tailed off at the end of the season.

This year was one of the worst I’d ever seen for team chemistry. The locker room was completely divided and it spilled out on to the court.

As far as Jokl goes. Yes he’s not a PAC12 player but why cut him? There isn’t a scholarship crunch and at this point of the recruiting cycle you’re not going to find anyone better to replace him. Having a 7 footer in practice for J Johnson to go against is good for his progression. Plus Jokl really likes it here He loves the team and the school. He practices hard gives 100% plus I think he’s got a girlfriend in school. Down the road if you need his scholarship then maybe you cut him but at this point Larry will just find another end of the bench guy to replace him and then we’ll be having this same conversation again this time next year about end of the bench guys who don’t belong in the PAC12

Larry has his “warts” and he knows he needs to right the ship. I’m just afraid he’s got himself on a hamster wheel of roster turnover every year he can’t get off.

HoosierinUt
        Ute Fan
        @hoosierinut

and that hamster wheel is producing a non-conf schedule that is pathetic. “team needs to gel” is the coaches fault for building a team that keeps turning over.

I get that players don’t turnout the way coaches expected….or they get homesick…..or they are just a dick and their teammates can’t tolerate their attitude. I get that every team pretty much has a player transfer each year…but not what we have seen the last two years. We have fans predicting freshmen to start on a Pac-12 team. We aren’t talking about 5* freshmen. If we are counting on freshmen to help us next year? Holy hell it will get ugly inside the Huntsman Center.

But, asking ticket holders to pony up $$$ for this product is becoming a problem. I like Larry. I think he is a really good coach. I think he has an obvious problem with recruiting the right players for his system. And if we get another non-conf schedule like that again….season ticket holders are going to become a serious problem. Everyone saw the empty seats this year….yes, most tickets had been purchased but the fans just didn’t care to show up. that is not sustainable, not with the contract larry has.

For the first time I decided to skip most of the non-conf games and a couple of the Pac-12 games. I tried to give my tickets away (which are really good mid-court seats) and for most games couldn’t find a taker. Interest this year was really down (again – all you had to do was see the half-full arena).

Larry has got to be feeling the pressure. Recruiting has to be fixed immediately (which means the fix cannot come from JCs and Graduate Transfers). Larry doesn’t need 4 and 5* players for his system. He needs players that will buy into the system. Players that will develop over time. I have no problem watching a season that has a poor outcome if I can see progression. We absolutely did not see progression this year.

The Athletic Department no doubt is feeling the pressure.

AZswayze
        Ute Fan
        @AZswayze

Watch him go all Marshall Henderson on us, and blow up at some other school, while becoming an even bigger asshole.

utefansince79
          Ute Fan
          @utefansince79

Have to admit I missed a ton of non-conference games that just didn’t look that interesting.

Ironically by far the most appealing pre-season home game was against Butler which I was eager to attend, but a storm hit that afternoon and it added well over an hour to my commute time (from Lehi) and I arrived home right before tip-off.  Ended up watching on TV instead of attending.

But indeed as many of us noted already, they must get us a few more games of interest on the schedule.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) The players who should have transferred from the basketball team