This team had a good year

Viewing 2 reply threads

AlaskaSteveUteAlum
      Ute Fan
      @alaskasteveutealum

There has been a lot of nitpicking and ventilating about our team’s performance today in the Rose Bowl. Some is justified, and some is not. Although our season ended with a tough loss, we had a good year. We’re progressing as a team. Remember, it took us a couple of years of losing in the PAC-12 Championship game to finally win one. The same will be true of us winning the the top bowl games, especially the CFP. We have won big games when we’re disrespected. What we have to learn, and I’m certain that our coaches already know, is how to win big games when we’re not disrespected. I’m excited to see what the future holds for our team.

1 1

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

I think the issue is not one specific result, but the totality of the results. And that probably doesn’t really capture it…

At the macro level, we were told that this was a far improved team in every aspect over 2021 but record wise, it was exactly the same: 10-4, Pac-12 Champ, Rose Bowl loser.

There is also no firm rule that a team must lose something a couple of times before they get to win. Yesterday we were treated to a Tulane team doing the exact same thing to USC that Utah did in Salt Lake. Tulane didn’t need to lose a couple of NY6 bowls before finally breaking through the glass ceiling.

On top of that, there is TCU who is a very good measuring stick for Utah since both have made the same journey with a long-time head coach. They made the P5 jump after Utah but were able to have more success quicker. After stagnating, they brought in a new voice and have not only made the invitational but won right away.

At the end of the day, these things aren’t binary. I can be happy for what the team accomplished this year, disappointed with the result in the Rose Bowl, and try to figure out what it will take for the team to reach the levels I desire all at the same time.

AlaskaSteveUteAlum
        Ute Fan
        @alaskasteveutealum

The Utes are still a developing team, and not an established team, like Alabama, USC, Michigan, Ohio State, Georgia, or Penn State. Established teams have a history of built-in funding and structure (aka tradition) in order to make them successful. Developing teams take time, and setbacks, to become successful. It is an exception for developing teams to experience success at the highest level games on their first or even second try. One day, Utah will become an established team in the top tier, but we’re just not there yet.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

At some point, you have to decide if you are developing or this is who you are. We’re told that it took time to build the roster (12 years in P5 and counting) but at the same time we are told that we aren’t there yet and if you just give the process a few more years.,, If the longest tenured staff in the conference can’t put together the necessary talent and depth in over a decade, it should be legitimate to ask whether it will ever be able to.

Getting to high profile games is a great accomplishment. Winning those games will validate the accomplishment. And a big part of making that happen in my mind will be turning the platitudes we hear in interviews about focus, culture and determination into consistent results. TCU is in the championship game this year with a similar level of talent to Utah because in the overwhelming majority of games this year, they refused to lose instead of talking about how they were going to learn from losses.

Penn State is a really good team but that Rose Bowl was absolutely winnable for Utah. All the right things were said in interviews but what we saw on the field was a team that was not able to make the plays when they needed to. That speaks to coaching and execution which has to get better but we repeat it ad nauseum every year as if it is a new phenomenon.

So, yes, the title of this thread is correct: “This team had a good year”. In fact, it had almost exactly the year I predicted it would 6 months ago. The team is exactly what I expect it to be based on it’s own history and I fully expect it to finish within a game either way in the 2023 regular season. Maybe that’s good enough to get into a CCG again and/or another NY6 bowl? I don’t know because it will depend on what else happens outside Utah’s control. But until something drastic happens, you are going to have a hard time convincing me that the team is ever going to have the kind of year we all really want.

AlaskaSteveUteAlum
            Ute Fan
            @alaskasteveutealum

I feel your pain. The only factor that may hinder the Utes’ growth, in my opinion, is the unregulated NIL. I’m both patient (having rooted for the Utes since the days of Ray Nagel as coach) and optimistic. They will become an established top tier team, and, one day, win a National Championship. Hopefully, in my lifetime.

2008 National Champ
              Ute Fan
              @cptmrgn05

I go back to Fassel so I’ve got a really good feel for what a painful Utah season feels like and 2022 doesn’t even register on that scale. Like I said above, a single result (losing the Rose Bowl) doesn’t move the needle for me. Utah could have won, they didn’t, congratulate the other team and move on.

Where I differ from many on this site is that I’m not going to assume improvement just because I want it to happen. I suppose that, along with my writing style, comes off as negative and I’m okay with that perception even if it is not my true intention.

Ted Lasso
      Ute Fan
      @tedlasso

I think the cool thing for you guys is with the arrival of the 12 team playoff, you’ll be able to watch your team compete year in and year out for a playoff spot, especially considering the recruiting classes y’all have pulled off recently. 2023 might be a difficult year for Utah to 3-peat as P12 champions, especially if Cam Rising leaves, but I could see 2024 and beyond having scary good teams.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football This team had a good year