Timing of announcing decision to enter the draft

Viewing 3 reply threads

Great1Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tribute

I’ve been interested in the timing of when someone decides to annouce they will enter the draft.  Part of me thinks that they should wait until after the bowl game to make the announcement so as not to become a distraction from bowl preparation.  On the other hand, if they know they are going, maybe it helps with recruiting to announce before the early signing period.  For example, knowing that Lloyd, Covey, Pledger and Fotheringham are not returning lets potential recruits at those positions know that a slot is open for them to take a run at.  Maybe the coaching staff actually encourages players to make their announcment as early as possible?

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

I honestly think with NIL, you could see more players coming back, if they can secure a good deal. I mean if Texas O-Linemen can get $150K a year, why wouldn’t you come back for that kind of money, and a shot at a title, and a bettter draft grade?

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

Assuming the players declaring aren’t sitting out the bowl game, I think that declaring early could actually be a motivator.

They (and everyone else on the team) knows it’s their “last hurrah”, and may work just a little bit harder to finish the job and go out a winner.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Maybe early declaration helps Utah. Oddly, much of bowl prep has been allocated to getting 2s and 3s ready for next year. For those players it is a second spring practice. I expect they get very motivated knowing the pecking order of some positions is changing. But the early signing date tomorrow also benefits when ‘open positions’ can be advertised much like jobs in other professions.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Timing of announcing decision to enter the draft