Utah football coaches

Viewing 2 reply threads
      6 1

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

My thouhgts on Utah football coaches:

Ray Nagel – Very solid coach that we lost to Iowa.  I was sad to see him leave, but realized that going to the Big Ten was a great oportunity for him.

Mike Giddings – I actually liked him  When they had a phone poll on rather he should be fired or not, I callled in 100 times voting no.

Bill Meek – He was a former SMU coach.  The first few years he did great at Utah.  They almost won the WAC in 1969, but lost on a last second FG at Arizona.  At the end the needed to go.  

Tom Lovat – Was a huge mistake.  He won 5 games in 3 years.

Wayne Howard – He was a refreshing change.  His second season the Utes went 8-3 and beat BYU. But, he never could understand why more locals were BYU fans than Utah fans.  This was frustrating to him.  He left after an 8-2-1 season.

Chuck Stobart – Hard nose coach that seemed to be in every game, but lost a lot of close games.  Never really fit in and was let go after three seasons.

Jim Fassel – He always had great offense and horribe defense.  Mithchel once set the record for passing yards against AFA and we lost something like 57-49.  He needed to go in the end.

Mac – He came originally with Howard and was an assistant for Stobart and one year with Fassel.  He came back to be our head coach.  He made major changes including allowing missionaries, recruiting polys, added mental toughness.  He turned the Ute football program around.  But, I think he reached his peak.  

Urbin Meyer – One of the best coaches in college football today.  He took us to amazing new levels.  Enough said.

KW – Solid coach.  Great at defense and doesn’t seem to allow the offense to play aggressively.  I am honestly tiring of KW’s style.  But, can we get anyone better?  I don’t know.

Just my two cents on the coaches I remember.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

There are so many positives for taking over the Utah football program post Whitt. The program is on an upwards trend and most of the instate rivals stink. 

Yet it will be a daunting task and I don’t envy anyone to do it. 

CincyUte
      Ute Fan
      @cincyute

I wonder how history would have played out if we got HOFer Larry Wilson to replace Bill Meek instead of Tom Lovat.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Utah football coaches