Utah Football in the CFP era and the (near) future of the expanded CFP:

Viewing 1 reply thread

alUmnUs
      Ute Fan
      @alumnus

Utah has been ranked in the CFP poll more times than any other PAC 12 team and is tied for #7 on the list of all teams that have been ranked the most frequently in the CFP poll (33 appearances as of the 11/23/21 poll). Utah will likely take sole possession of that #7 ranking next week, as LSU continues to miss out on the rankings this year.

Had Utah had it’s act together earlier in the 2021 season (not dropping the two OOC games), Utah would certainly be in the Top Four this week – even with one conference loss. No matter, it feels like the Utahverse is quite pleased with where this team is at right now.

The CFP has consistently shown that a one loss PAC 12 team will likely get the go-ahead nod into a 4-team playoff. However, that “consistency” can only be evidenced by four individual PAC 12 performances over the span of eight seasons: Oregon (2014), Washington (2016), Utah’s near hit in 2019 and Oregon’s previous Top Four placements in the 2021 rankings.

It’s likely that in the near future, two losses will no longer be a de facto barrier point to entry in the CFP. The CFP powers-that-be meet on December 1 to discuss the latest expansion proposals on the table. There has already been credible speculation that the Commissioners, who hold the fate of CFP expansion in their hands, could come to a consensus by the end of December and approve a 12-team playoff format. If consensus agreement to expand is achieved, we will see a 12-team playoff format as soon as the 2022 season. If consensus agreement to expand is not reached this year, we likely will not see a 12-team playoff format until the 2024 or 2025 season.

In a 12-team playoff format, Utah would have made the 2019 playoff as the #11 ranked team after falling to Oregon in the PAC 12 Championship. 

I’ve appreciated watching Utah maintain a presence in the CFP landscape during most of its existence. What’s been difficult to stomach, as a Utah fan, is that a consistently productive offense has been the key missing piece needed to elevate Utah to the level where they are consistently in the Top 4 discussion. I think this all changed when Ludwig returned and removed the key from the ignition of the OC carousel. The offense is there. The offensive playmakers are appearing, but more importantly they are appearing in multiples and giving Utah the offensive depth that it has lacked for most of the CFP era. 

Utah’s “respect” of the process almost bit them too hard this year with the Brewer fiasco. It was pretty clear to me (especially in the BYU game) that Brewer didn’t quite grasp an understanding of the assignment at hand. Luckily depth was available, corrections were made (except to the punting game) and now we’re about to witness Utah’s respect of the process to payoff.

Utah WILL finally win a PAC 12 title in 2021.

Utah WILL finally earn a trip to the Rose Bowl.

Utah WILL be a playoff team in 2022.

The weight of the world will be on Utah’s shoulders in 2023 and we will have to wait and see how it is carried.

Go Utes!

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

I hope the playoff doesn’t expand yet. If they do it now, ESPN gets the rights to all of the playoff games for a long time. I’m tired of espn and their bs. I have no doubt they were involved with the chicanery between the SEC, UT and OU. It all happened right when the SEC signed that huge contract with ESPN too. If it means 4 teams for the next few years, I’m all for it.

alUmnUs
        Ute Fan
        @alumnus

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. My thought is that there’s far too much money on the table for the opportunity to be put on hold (but I’ve had this opinion for at least a decade, so what do I know?). And this, to your point, likely presents consequences that many consumers find off-putting. Though my understanding is that ESPN’s CFP contract expires in 2025. Hard to think they’re not a power-broker, however.

Here’s a recent article from SI that simply explains where things stand.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I am all for expanding ASAP.  It makes sense to me.  I don’t really care about ESPN.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Utah Football in the CFP era and the (near) future of the expanded CFP: