Utah has played their best football in years the last three games

Viewing 3 reply threads
      14 1

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

It has been impressive and I am very happy about it.

Many are now saying that those people who doubted Whitt or Taylor were wrong.  I say that’s not exactly true.

First of all, it is all a matter of opinion.  It’s easy to say, “I told you so.”

Second, we looked very bad in weeks 2 and 3 and not very good in week 4 IMO.  (Throw out week 1 as meaningless.)  Our offense had scored only 2 TDs in 30 posessions.  That is pathetic.  Also, we were 3-10 in the last 13 conference games.  I think that anyone who was frustrated has every right to be so.

One of the arguements against the frustration was that we had too high of expectations.  We should never expect great things because we could not ever recruit and compete agaianst the top dogs in the conference.  But, now everyone seems to have very high expectations.

As for me – I said something has to change or we would struggle winning many games.  The fact is, things have changed.  Examples include:

Better play calling.  Using the run to set up the pass plays.

More aggressive blitz packages to put pressure on the opposing QBs.

Less conservative play calling when we have a lead in the game. (Just look at last night.)

So, I give credit to the coaching staff for creative game planning and making the changes necessary to win/dominate these last three weeks.  I believe we need to be creative each and every week or we will be caught with our pants down.  It starts this week against UCLA.  This young team has improved.  Yes, we should beat them.  But, I suggest that we shopuld come out like Alabama does each week and dominate early.

I hope to see us win out, win the conference championship game and play Ohios State and Urban Meyer in the Rose Bowl.  Now, that would be fun.  Hoping is not the same as expecting.  Forgive my skepticism.  I have been a Ute fan for many years and I have seen us give away great opportunities.  Whitt and this team has a great opportunity ahead of them.  I hope they sieze it.

Go Utes.

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

I was one of the fans calling for an overhaul of the coaching staff about a month ago. I’ll gladly admit I was wrong for two reasons:

1. Although it took him longer than it should have, Coach Taylor is finally running his offense to the strengths of his players. Early in the season it seemed like he was ignoring the fact he has a 1,000 yard rusher and he was convinced Huntley was an amazing passer. Now, he’s using Moss like he should and he’s allowing Huntley to make some easy throws (I will say that Huntley is even making throws I didn’t think he could.)

2. You hit on it, but Whitt finally seems to be playing to WIN and not just playing not to lose. The last 3 weeks, I fully expected our offense to shut down after getting up 14 points. Instead, we continued throwing the ball.

I’ve said it for years, if Utah can come up with a DECENT offense, they’ll be very hard to beat. It finally seems like our coaches see that.

Anonymous
        Inactive

I’m definitely encouraged, but I’m still skeptical. I’m waiting to see how November turns out.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I meant to give you a thumbs up but fat fingered it. Now I can’t change it. Sorry. I agree with this post.
      Edit: fixed.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Perfectly sums up all opinions. 

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Utah has played their best football in years the last three games