Utah kickers and coverage

Viewing 2 reply threads

BleedsRedUte
      Ute Fan
      @bleedsredute

So how does Kyle solve the problem of short kickoffs and bad kickoff coverage (our kicker had to make the tackle in a recent game which probably saved a touchdown)?

I’m kind of miffed that the Utes can’t recruit a local kid that has a great leg, and can kick it out of the endzone easily, especially in rice-eccles at altitude.

As to the coverage problem, it seems like the Utes haven’t been great in this department for years. Means it is a problem with personnel, not scheme. Utah uses 2 deep guys to cover, and tries to save the 1s against injury, etc..
      Doesn’t look like they can afford to do this until they have quality atheletes top to bottom. They need to use the best players on coverage, especially in big games.

The Utes are a good team, but the short kicks and weak coverage are going to bite them in the Butt. I hope Kyle has some kind of plans to mitigate these problems. Kick it out of bounds and take the penalty? Saves a long run back???

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

IMO this is a serious issue that is not getting the attention it deserves. The short field disadvantage feels similar to a turnover at this point. 

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Whitt has said it has gone well in practice but for whatever reasons not on game day. 

I think it is because they are trying to get hang time inside the 5-10 and baiting return guys into going for it. Problem is the lane break down in the coverage and just overall bad tackling angles. At this point I just want them to kick out of the back. 

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

Just kick out of the back. The risk is just not worth it. Or just go for an onside kick if they’re going to start at 40ish any way. At least they can’t return it for a TD this way.

utefansince79
          Ute Fan
          @utefansince79

I’m happy with touchbacks every single time.  Last weekend, the last return with a half minute left to the 50 (called back for a hold) had the potential to lead to a loss. 

SalUteopia
            Ute Fan
            @saluteopia

Exactly! That is akin to a turnover worthy momentum swing.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Utah kickers and coverage