Why you don’t play two QB’s:

Viewing 4 reply threads

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

If Huntley is your “red zone” QB, then he might as well be your every down QB. The red zone is the toughest place to play football. 

If Huntley gives you the best chance to score in the red zone, then it wouldn’t make any sense to not play him the rest of the field. 

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Agreed, one QB, and maybe a red zone wild cat package with a big bruiser of a RB. Tupai???

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

I suppose the argument for using two QBs like that would be “Game Management vs Special Talent” – It’s one thing to ask a QB to come in and run a few plays to take advantage of his special skill set once your offense is inside the 20. It is another thing altogether to ask that same QB to manage the offense for 10-15 plays starting from your own side of the field. In theory it makes sense. Let your more veteran QB manage the overall offense and then once you get in scoring position let the other QB who might lack the poise to manage an entire drive come in and make a play or two.

Having said all of that, I’m not a fan of 2 QB systems. I only want to see Huntley play under 3 conditions: 1) Wildcat type deal, 2) Mopup duty, or 3) Maybe give him one guaranteed possession per game to help prepare him to take over next year.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

If he has played as well as Troy in fall ball, then why Troy?

UteThunder
          Ute Fan
          @utethunder

Experience and veteran leadership, but the big reason is to make sure we don’t lose Troy Williams and Jack Tuttle.

If Williams is told he is the backup before the season starts, I agree with whoever said below that he would likely transfer. If Williams transfers, we are suddenly very thin at QB and might find ourselves relying on the 3rd string guy if Huntley gets banged up.

If Huntley starts, Tuttle may decide to look elsewhere. Why come to Utah where he will have to battle the incumbent starter for two more years when he could go to USC and compete to replace Darnold(if he enters the draft)?

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

I don’t think that’s an issue. You don’t want to play as a true freshman and then it would be Huntley-SR vs Tuttle-FR. Worst case scenario, Tuttle starts as a RS-Sophomore. 

I don’t think it’s quite as big of a deal as we think/worry. 

Also, Troy was not good last year. Maybe it was injury, maybe scheme, but he was still terrible. We should have won the south. We didn’t. 

ladyinred
      Ute Fan
      @ladyinred

Just thinking aloud, I wonder if this has anything to do with concern about the O line.  Maybe Huntley shows better escapability when the pocket collapses, which they are maybe expecting. But that’s practicing against THIS defense…I’d run fast af too. 

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

The only 2 QB system I have ever liked was the one run by somebody a few years ago (Louisiana-Monroe?) that had both QBs on the field at the same time.  That was fun to watch.  They ran an interesting RPO with a fully-functioning QB taking the handoffs.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Why you don’t play two QB’s: