130, 129, 124, 92, 41, 32, 14:

Viewing 2 reply threads

alUmnUs
      Ute Fan
      @alumnus

The current total defense rank of opponents U$C has played this season (out of 130 FBS teams).

Nevada – 130
      Colorado – 129
      Stanford – 124
      SJSU – 92
      ASU – 41
      Arizona – 32
      Notre Dame – 14
      Avg. opp. rank: 80.2

U$C Defense (rank 93) vs. current rank Total Offense:

Nevada – 114
      ASU – 101
      Stanford – 82
      SJSU – 67
      Notre Dame – 53
      Colorado – 38
      Arizona – 23
      Avg. opp. rank: 68.3

Utah Offense (rank 115) vs current rank Total Defense:

CAL – 84
      Baylor – 82
      OSU – 44
      Florida – 20
      UCLA – 11
      Avg. opp. rank: 48.2

Utah Defense (rank 9) vs current rank Total Offense:

Baylor – 60
      Cal – 59
      Florida – 47
      OSU – 29
      UCLA – 19
      Avg. opp. rank: 42.8

Utah Rushing Defense Rank #1
      U$C Rushing Offense Rank #59

Utah Rushing Offense Rank #46
      U$C Rushing Defense Rank #83

Utah Team Passing Efficiency Defense Rank #16
      U$C Team Passing Efficiency Rank #5

Utah Team Passing Efficiency Rank #111
      U$C Team Passing Efficiency Defense Rank #93

Total Team Sacks:
      Utah #5
      U$C #16

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

Moveable force meets stoppable object

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Feels like this will just come down to Utah’s health leading up to and during the game.
        Jackson still looks like he needs to get his legs worked on mid game.

I have more confidence in Utah’s chances based on the Oline play for Cal.

I do think Utah’s dline can get pressure with four. I just hope they remember how to tackle Williams. He can dodge dip duck dive and dodge all day to avoid a sack.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

If the Utes get up by 10, he’ll start limping and tackling him won’t be an issue

RoboUte
      Ute Fan
      @hamplate

With each team able to do whatever it wants the team that can pass will win, this is why Whitt’s fundamental offensive philosophy of 2 yards and a cloud of get-a-good-punter began to die in the 80s.

The X factor is that the Utah defense has already shown itself to functional decently against Caleb Williams and therein lies our only hope. Our defense will have to have their best night of the year to win this game, and I have every reason to believe they’ll be ready. Unfortunately, I also have every reason to believe our offense won’t be, so we’ll need a dash of luck too.

RedRocks
        Ute Fan
        @hypodactylus

“With each team able to do whatever it wants the team that can pass will win”

Not exactly. As long as Utah controls the ball and scores, it doesn’t really matter if they are throwing the ball.
        That said, being super predictable usually results in stops, even by the worst defenses.

I don’t have a problem with running the ball. I have a problem with being predictable and not being successful with it.

RoboUte
          Ute Fan
          @hamplate

Sure, the running team can win. But if having a potent passing offense isn’t better then I’d ask you to tell me why the metagame of football at this level and the next has been moving further in favor of passing since ’78.

The 49ers with the #2 pass defense in the NFL and the #1 rush offense and the Chiefs with the #5 passing offense and a mediocre rush defense met in the 2020 super bowl and the game was not close even though the 49ers were probably the more complete team. Why is that? The answer is fairly simple.

RedRocks
            Ute Fan
            @hypodactylus

Sure. I am not arguing that Utah should not throw the ball. Variety is the spice of life.

However, if my team only runs the ball and scores on every possession, do we need to throw the ball?
            I am mostly taking issue with your statement that the team who can pass the ball will win. Yes, this may often be true. It may even likely be true for this game.

I generally just don’t like dealing in absolutes.

RoboUte
              Ute Fan
              @hamplate

if my team only runs the ball and scores on every possession

Does your team do that? Does any? When I say the passing team will win I’m not telling you that it’s impossible for the running team to win. It’s just a lot more elegant than typing “the expected outcome of this game given the relative strengths of each team is heavily in favor of the team that passes the ball.” but I’m not against being verbose if that’s what’s needed.

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

Hold on a second Robo…that Super Bowl comparison is, in my view, off base.

Remember, the 49ers were up 20-10 late in the 4th QTR but then the Chiefs scored three TDs in the last six minutes of the game to win 31-20.

No one who watched that game for 3.5 quarters, myself included, anticipated that final result.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football 130, 129, 124, 92, 41, 32, 14: