14 weeks until kickoff

Viewing 2 reply threads

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

I probably say this every june but the anticipation for this year feels stronger for me. With a high level offense we are contending for a CFP spot a few of the last 4 years. I think Troy Taylor is the real deal but there are a lot of variables outside of him that could keep our offense from being above average this year. Major boom and major bust (with our sched) potential. Could see anywhere from 4 to 11 wins

1 1

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Here are a few questions to hopefully stimulate some discussion:
      I hate to be “that guy”, but if the win total is closer to 4, who of the coaching staff survives? I think that Utah FB is definitely trending upward overall, but this year might be a step back because the conference will be really good. 2018 could be a special year for Utah, but can we survive 2017 without eating our own?

If the offense sputters this year, how much slack will Taylor be given? If we have another end of season meltdown, will Whit be on the hot seat? One thing about Utah fans is we can be quite shortsighted – if 2017 is rough, will the pitchforks come out within the fanbase, or will we keep the big picture in mind?

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I say no one gets the hot seat, even if we only win 4 games. We know the defense is solid. We know that Scalley/Whitt are some of the best in the business. We know know that all Shah does is recruit and put kids in the NFL. DL/LB has been fine as well. 

As for offensively, it’s Taylor’s first year. And Kiel’s as well. Whitt ain’t firing his brother. Guy Holliday has been a recruiting force and the best WR coach we’ve had since Gonzalous. Harding is incredible. 

Even with only 4 wins, you don’t fire anyone. 

gUrthBrooks
        Ute Fan
        @hammer

IMO, we are in the Golden Age of Utah Football. Looking back, I think most will revere K-Whitt with taking the program into the PAC 12 and growing it to be the best per cost dollar program inthe country. He would not be in the hot sheet for several years IMO. 

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

This, when you see how little we spend, it’s shocking how many wins we have with how little we spend. 

We are spoiled. 

RedLine
        Ute Fan
        @redline

RedLine
        Ute Fan
        @redline

Offseason posters include a lot of optimists. I can appreciate a post on the skeptical side. A four win season would be devestating, but I don’t think it would result in major coaching changes. Whitt has done a nice of job of buying security seasons. I’m no insider and I don’t know Whitt’s psyche, but my preception of Whitt securing Taylor was that it was different than other OCs he’s hired. 

Will the pitchforks come out? They always come out by a segment of the fan base. It’s the athletics director and university that matter in that call. And after a four win season he’d be downgraded a bit and told to go have a better season.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

If we are talking about 4 wins I’m assuming we win the first 3?  That would mean 1 conference win?  Or maybe we drop one in the pre-conference season?  Then that would mean 2 conference wins?  Doesn’t seem likely.  Possible, but not likely.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football 14 weeks until kickoff