2022 Early Love

Viewing 3 reply threads

MauchDawgUte
      Ute Fan
      @mauchdawgute

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

How is Oregon on that list? They like fancy uniforms? 

younglurch
        Ute Fan
        @younglurch

My guess: Former SEC QB and SEC D-Coordinator as coach have the national media smitten. They still have some talent and could win a weak north division, but ranking them in the top 10 is a bit much. 

jamarcus24
          Ute Fan
          @jamarcus24

I remember back when Utah played Stanford there was a graphic put up showing that Utah was the #2 team in the country for Freshmen seeing the field.  I don’t remember the graphic showing it, but I do believe it was mentioned later that Oregon was #1.  Cristobal had great recruiting classes every year and he left that place well stocked with tons of young talent.  If you look up their 2-deep depth chart HERE they have 13 freshmen listed on offense (5 starters) and 15 freshmen on defense (7 starters).  Utah and Oregon look set to battle for this conference for the next few years.

FtheY
      Ute Fan
      @fthey

Man, I want some of that Kool-aid. The worse part is that logically, the kool-aid makes sense! 

We’ve fixed mediocre qb play. We have the most depth we’ve ever had. Recruiting continues to trend up, and we’re scouring the portal. We have a lot of returning experience with 72 of 85 guys being freshman or sophomores next year (according to Whitt). 

Gotta execute though. We are built for 22 and 23, let’s get it done! 

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

Agreed, we are built for ‘22 and ‘23. There’s plenty of areas that need to get shored up to make another run next year. Namely: 1) OL, loss of Bam and Ford are significant IMO. How will Kump be when he returns? Our OL was what made the offense so effective this year IMO and I’m hopeful it doesn’t take us another 4 games to get solidified/figured out. 2) LBs, is it going to be Diabate and either Reid or Barton? Will the Calvert brothers be in the mix? We’ve got plenty of talent here and less concerned that this won’t get figured out quickly. 3) depth in the Secondary. Starters are solid but as we saw, we can lose guys quickly back there and need quality depth backing them up. 4) lastly our Special Teams is a huge problem that should be at the top of the list of priorities to get figured out for next year. We need a reliable kicker, much better punter, and have to replace our best return man in school history.

Very confident in Whitt and our coaching staff that they will fill the holes nicely with the portal and have our team ready to go. Just hoping it all comes together early so we come out of the gates strong against Florida, propelling us to an exciting run in 2022. Go Utes!!

FtheY
          Ute Fan
          @fthey

Couldn’t agree more MDUte, you are spot on. 

We ALWAYS have things we need to work on. Everyone does. I would also add backup qb needs to be solidified too. Receivers need to step up too. 

Special teams were such a bummer this year. Speaking of, we also need a dynamic punt and kick return guy – isn’t that CP3 behind Covey? 

Maybe it was fluke. But 2019 and 2021 sure felt special. Felt like we FINALLY turned the corner on the things that had plagued us for years – oline, OC, qb, depth, winning in Nov, etc.. Too early to tell but it feels like we fought through that plateau and we are ready for more. 

What makes me nervous (in addition to the things you mentioned) is the mental game. Can we truly execute and get fired up even when we are the hunted?  

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

First need is leadership. Covey on offense and Lloyd on defence will be very important replacements.

UtesRule
      Ute Fan
      @utesrule

Only teams ahead of Utah in this list are ND, Georgia, THE Ohio St., and Bama!

THAT my Ute friends is AWESOME!!!

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football 2022 Early Love