2024 Recruiting Class

Viewing 4 reply threads

Utesenberg
      Ute Fan
      @dsolorio76

Hello fellow Utes! Long time, first time. Hoping to get more active on the board because I think there’s generally good debate and interesting conversation. Plus I’m brilliant and have lots to offer. 🤣 I’ve read 2-3 things in the last little bit about our 2024 recruiting class and I’m wondering… should I even care anymore? How many of next year’s incoming freshman will ever see the field in a Utah uniform? Has the game evolved (or devolved) to where the quality of HS seniors that you’re bringing in has little or no relevance since so many of them will be at other schools in a year or two? Is portal savvy making quality recruiting obsolete?

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

You lose continuity and have more chemistry issues going thru the portal. If you have the luxury, you prioritize HS recruiting and supplement thru the portal. This is what we’ve done up to this point, but with 13 players hitting the portal this year we’ll obviously be taking more from the portal. But HS > portal.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

There’s a lot of talk about this subject and schools at USC are at the cutting edge. Essentially, what they’re doing is not placing as much emphasis on HS recruiting (although there will always be a place for 5 Star and high 4 Star recruits) in favor of guys that have actually demonstrated quality on the college football field. My big fear is that, unless the rules are changed immediately, no star or quality player at Utah will be safe from getting tempted by a better NIL deal. So, teams like Utah will be used as feeder or developmental clubs by the bluebloods or just teams that have a lot of money to spend on players. Guardrails can’t be placed soon enough for me.

Yergensen
        Ute Fan
        @yergensen

Minor league to P2 Miami.

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

Exactly…with the difference being that schools like Utah would see zero financial benefit from the arrangement. The P2 can rape and pillage without anyone being able to do anything about it.

Utesenberg
      Ute Fan
      @dsolorio76

It seems like the days of CP III (i.e., not that long ago) who comes in as a vaunted recruit, earns a starting spot, has a great college career at that school then goes pro, are a thing of the past.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Possibly…we do know for sure that Utah is going to have to pay a lot of money for the privilege of having a CPIII or a Kincaid.

Extra Medium
          Ute Fan
          @runningreddude

Kincaid had offers. Didn’t he get a $1M offer to go to Alabama? He chose to stay at Utah. It worked out.

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

When Kincaid got that offer from Alabama, the system was in its infancy. Now, it’s a foregone conclusion that top level players will receive millions of dollars through NIL. All things being equal, future Kincaids and CPIIs will only stay at Utah provided the money is not much less than what they can get somewhere else. It’s simple economics combined with human greed.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

That is an interesting view.

I have wondered how these recruiting sites keep engagement going.
      For me it has always been weird wondering over the decisions of kids. I try to stay focused on the game. Many times I fail at that because the off field drama always comes with it.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football 2024 Recruiting Class