99 year grant of rights BIG12

Viewing 4 reply threads

UofU Fanatic
      Ute Fan
      @uofufanatic

Discussing the whole topic of utah going to Big12 with a group tonight and I never knew about the Big12 99 year grant of rights. For instance I knew Texas and Oklahoma had some steep fees they have to pay but I didn’t realize schools in big12 have a 99 year grant of rights. I’m surprised this isn’t discussed enough right now with the conference expansions. Especially if worried about the next stage of realignment and want to have the least amount of resistance to being in the top 2 conferences.

I am still not certain what I prefer for Utah to jump into big12 for more “stability” or hope that the PAC ship doesn’t sink

I apologize if I made any errors in this post as some of this business stuff goes over my head

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

If you are correct about the 99 year GOR, that’s insane. There is no F’n way I’d want Utah to sign on to that.

UofU Fanatic
        Ute Fan
        @uofufanatic

In 2012 Big12 teams signed 99 year grant of rights which is like 80 million exit fee but I think Texas and Oklahoma negotiated it to be a little less to avoid court fees.

I don’t know if new teams coming like BYU or Colorado are signing same 99 yr GoR

UteFanatic
      Ute Fan
      @utefanatic

There seems to be some ambiguity about the length of the Big12’s GOR. Some are saying the 99 year GOR was from the 2012 deal and that a new GOR was created as part of the new deal and only runs until 2031.

But I am having a hard time finding anything concrete about it.

gandalf
      Ute Fan
      @gandalf

The length of the GoR and the exit fee are 2 separate things. It’s my understanding the exit fee is what allows you to “buy back” your rights.

5 1

BUBearsFan
      Ute Fan
      @bubearsfan72

It’s not 99 years. The contract runs through 2031. There will never be another 10+ year GOR to avoid the ACC mess that those schools cannot break outside a miracle in court.

krindor
        Ute Fan
        @krindor

Yup, it’s a 99 year agreement to stay together.  Basically all that means is there’s an exit fee which isn’t connected to the GOR.

It’s stronger than what the PAC has (as evidenced by USC, UCLA, Colorado leaving without any payout required)

But not as strong as a GOR (which means the schools basically leave without their media rights).  Big 12 also has a media rights GOR, but obviously much shorter

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Pac-12 99 year grant of rights BIG12