A lot of griping about Krystkowiak here

Viewing 6 reply threads
      8 5

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

But the reality is, this team overachieved. We were supposed to be bottom 1/3 of the league if I remember right, and we finished in the top 1/4.

i get the criticism, it isn’t so much about on court performance as it is about the crazy amounts of player turnover, but he IS good at getting his guys to play up to their potential.

the other gripe about him is his salary. In no way has he earned being a top 10 salaried coach. He hasn’t sniffed a NC, he doesn’t deserve that much money.

9 2

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

When was the last time we made the tournament?

1 5

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

and? I’m not claiming that our current coach is the answer, or that he doesn’t need to go, I’m just pointing out that he consistently exceeds the expectations of the media. I also pointed out that he is incredibly overpaid, and he struggles in keeping talent around for long enough to build any sort of forward momentum, hence the tourney drought.

astUTE
          Ute Fan
          @astute

Then why start out with the premise that we’re griping? We all get that he exceeds (very low) expectations (in a very bad PAC12 conference year), I just comment because exceeding very low expectations, is not what I expect from a UofU Basketball coach!

Rather, let’s see if we can recruit well enough, and retain talent well enough, coach the whole up well enough, that we start the season with HIGH expectations, and then see how we live up to, or perhaps exceed them.

I’ve been going to UofU Basketball games, since I was a very young child, in the 60’s, and have seen some great basketball. Most of the last 15 year, and certainly what we are getting right now is NOT what I expect.

4 1

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Larry’s weaknesses in my opinion are in terms of x’s and o’s and game management. Tonight was a prime example of that. There are many basic things that his teams never do well like play defense, rebound, know how to get the ball in bounds and so on.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Nope…..Sorry. Unless the Utes win the pac-12 champ and make the tourney I’ll eat crow. Three straight years is unacceptable. Every year we give him a pass for some reason. Every year. I’m not even asking for a tourney birth every year but at least 1 of 3 years or every other year. This is more a product of the pac being garbage.

astUTE
      Ute Fan
      @astute

Larry clearly seems to get the best out of his team, every year, compared to the expectations of the media, in the preseason.

If he were recruiting and retaining talent well enough to have the media expecting a top 4 finish year over year, I’d be thrilled. And if he were then finishing ahead of those projections, I would consider his overachieving to mean something.

Overachieving, from a projected 7, 8, 9, year over year, particularly in the down state of the PAC12, means absolutely nothing. And overachieving to chase a possible NIT bid is useless.

Overachieving, when you’re in the dance, projected to make the round of 32, and actually make the sweet 16, or better… well that means something.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Going to Play Oregon in the tourney. Dana owns K. Guess we will see what happens.

astUTE
        Ute Fan
        @astute

Didn’t see that coming… expected Washington to runover Oregon.  But yes, you’re right, with that win, we play Oregon in our first game.  Altman has owned K to this point.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

We do not match up against them well.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

He was one loss away from being a seventh seed. 

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) A lot of griping about Krystkowiak here