Best Players to Play at RES and Huntsman Center

Viewing 7 reply threads

alexsmith
      Ute Fan
      @alexsmith

I heard on a radio show a few weeks back where they asked who the best players to play against BYU in Provo were. I’ve been thinking lately about who the best players to play both in football and in basketball are against our Utes in Salt Lake City are.

Obviously Caleb Williams has to make the list with the Heisman (which makes those wins so much sweeter) but what other big players have we had the chance to see in SLC?

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

Football: Mariota, Marshall Faulk, Jabril Peppers

Basketball: Tim Duncan, Damian Lillard

UtesRule
        Ute Fan
        @utesrule

Yup, that New Years Eve Utah vs Wake Forest game (Tim Duncan vs Keith Van Horn, as Seniors in college) was a lot of fun!

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

That night was electric… until we lost. LOL

thirtyfour-thirtyone
      Ute Fan
      @thirtyfour-thirtyone

Football:  Brian Urlacher comes to mind, as does Aaron Rodgers.  I hate to say it, but its hard to ignore Steve Young.  I’m currious to see how Caleb Williams shakes out both this year and in the NFL.

Basketball: Gotta go with Duncan.  He’s one of the best of all time.  I’m assuming we don’t count Magic Johnson vs Larry Bird here?

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

Marshall Faulk – Football, James Worthy – Basketball

UtesRule
      Ute Fan
      @utesrule

Don’t leave off Tom Chambers from this list. He is a 20,000+ point scorer in the NBA!

UtesRule
      Ute Fan
      @utesrule

Also, don’t forget Magic Johnson and Larry Bird, from the 1979 Final Four played at the Huntsman Center (it was known as the Special Event Center at that time), along with Mark Aguirre and Terry Cummings from Depaul, who was also part of that final four. 

Trivia question: without using a search engine, who can name the fourth team in that 1979 Final Four? 

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

I think we’re going for “played in SLC” and “Against Utah”. At least, that’s how I read it. 

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Penn.

Ute95
      Ute Fan
      @utejones67

Football: Marshall Faulk (1993) & Steve Young (1982)

Basketball: John Havlicek (#29 all-time NBA) and Jerry Lucas (#72 all-time NBA) in the Nielsen Fieldhouse in 1959. Utah beat Ohio St. 97 to 92.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I know some dislike mentioning any BYU players, but if we are honest Jimmy Mac, Young and Detmer have to be on the list in football.

You should add Jim Kiick from Wyoming, and Danny White from ASU to the list.

In basketball, there are many including Al Wood, Sam Perkins, and James Worthy from North Carolina.  Danny Ainge and Cosic were both studs.  Wayne Estes from the 1964 Aggies may have been one of the best.  He unfortunately was electrocuted after a game in 1965. He was averaging over 33 points a game when he died.

UtesRdx
      Ute Fan
      @utesrdsx

I saw Charles Barkley (Auburn) and Bill Cartwright (USF) play in the old Utah Classic.

Tim Hardaway UTEP

Michael Cooper UNM

Best Player:  Tom Chambers: dunking the ball while beating everyone down the court

Best shooter i ever saw was Tickey Burden

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

A few here have mentioned Marshall Faulk and I was in attendance when he and Jamal Anderson lit up Rice-Eccles in a memorable game which had 5 lead changes in the 4th quarter with Utah winning in the last minute of the contest.

Also was in the Hunty on New Year’s Eve when Tim Duncan led Wake Forest to a win over KVH and the Utes.  Had 2 seniors who would be top 2 in the next draft facing each other. 

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Best Players to Play at RES and Huntsman Center