Changes in Recruiting Strategies

Viewing 5 reply threads

palos_verdes_ute
      Ute Fan
      @palos-verdes-ute

So Josh Furlong is reporting that CS is going to change up the recruiting strategies. We all know he doesn’t recruit the most talented players, but the more coachable ones. His recruiting tactics has always been antiquated and I can only hope he has come to terms that in order to compete in the BIG12, he needs more raw talent. This starts with CS taking interest in Jayden Stone from Detroit Mercy – 20 PPG.

NarfUte
      Ute Fan
      @narfute

talented bigs and athletic guards.. We really needed Exacte or a second Deivon Smith at the end of this year.

Also, recruit some f**king free throw shooters.

palos_verdes_ute
        Ute Fan
        @palos-verdes-ute

Yes, D.Smith needs to be paired up with a true point guard. Worster plays the shooting guard and D.Smith is slasher. This would be a good 3 guard line up for BIG12 play.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

We need athletes!! Being tall and slow gets you a couple dunks and rim protection. The offenses that are being run in college bb spread the court and create mismatches. You have to guard on the perimeter and be able to switch the screens. On offense be able to drive and finish at the rim and a couple of shooters. BYU has the same problem and it showed today in their loss.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Can you post the link to that article by Furlong? Thanks.

FountainofUte
      Ute Fan
      @fountainofute

Here’s what I’d do if I were recruiting the Runnin Utes…

First, it goes without saying that we need the biggest, baddest, most athletic and NBA-bound studs we can find. Easy to say. Hard to do. But we’ve landed those guys in the past, and we’ll keep getting them in the future. Just gotta keep digging and we’ll get our share. No big surprise here. Every team is looking for these guys. I’m talking more below about what we do in addition to this, or what we need regardless of getting the stud…

We know that the Utah pool of D1 HS talent is not super deep. There are only so many Alex Jensens, Collin Chandlers, and Frank Jacksons to go around. True 4-star talent in our backyard. Yes, still recruit those guys like we always have. And we’re going to get some and not all of those guys. So, I’m not talking about them…

After the national studs and the local studs, I’d make sure we recruit local guys with potential to develop. I’m talking more about the role players. The Rydalches, Parker Van Dykes, Sean Greens, Drew Hansens, Jaxon Brenchly’s. Like the fb program has done, you have to fill your roster with some guys that want to have Utah across their chest. These kind of guys will be slow-burn development players. They may not pay off as contributors until senior year, maybe junior if we’re lucky. They probably won’t become starters, but they’ll fill our roster with guys who care about Utah. Guys who are bought in, and not necessarily looking for the next paycheck.

Lastly, we need to get athletic freaks. Preferably with some basketball skills even if raw. We do not care if they are “turds.” Can they play? Can they jump out of the gym? Can they pin a ball against the backboard?

I think our current and most recent coach get a little too concerned about coachable guys and good citizens so that there are players they don’t even offer or run off from the program because they’re not choir boys.

Sorry, but we need these guys. We need the disgruntled and difficult — if they’ve got that freak hoopin’ burst. THOSE are the guys I’ve seen come in and out our program quickly in the last 15 years or so, and I’d like to have seen some of them stay, and who knows how many more there were that didn’t even get offers. I don’t think we can be so picky. We had “problem child” players in the past and they often bring not only big athleticism, but a little bit of dogfight in them. We need a little more of that.

palos_verdes_ute
        Ute Fan
        @palos-verdes-ute

I’ve always believe in a balance between freakish athletic talents and the potential problems they might bring. Coach CS doesn’t strike me as someone that could put up with shenanigans. This isn’t his fault, but I believe it’s the directive from the administration to hire a coach that can balance the sensitivity of the community. This is consistent with our past coaches dating back to the Majerus days. This is consistent with our dismissal of talented players like Devon Daniels, Marshall Henderson (ok, he was a certified nutt job), and others.

While, I think it can be done as evidence from other programs like Iowa, Nebraska, maybe BYU (well have to see if they can have long term success) , I think it’s difficult to sustain. I rather take risk and even border along the corrupt side and enjoy the spoils.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Here’s a good article by Jon Wilner specifically focusing on Smith: Smith in Trouble

As many here have said, the Utes have to make the Dance next year or Smith is likely gone.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Changes in Recruiting Strategies