Comparison Between K and Smith

Viewing 5 reply threads

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

In Coach K’s third year, the Utes finished 21-12 (9-9 in the PAC) and made the NIT. In Coach Smith’s third year, well, we don’t know where the Utes will finish but they could seriously end the season on a 10 game losing streak, a losing record and no postseason. Personally, and I hate to say it, I’m done with Utah MBB until Smith is gone. I’ve seen any enough of his in-game coaching and recruiting to know that he’s definitely not the answer and any time and financial resources devoted to this team is a fool’s errand.

PAC12Teams
      Ute Fan
      @utahbb

Coach K could recruit…

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Well, if you can’t recruit then you have no business being a head MBB coach at a P4 university.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

My hesitancy to support Smith was correct after all. I really didn’t do much in way of supporting the team. It is all just so depressing when you grew up watching Majerus.

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

If Utah can somehow beat Cal, Stanford, at home and Oregon St on the road that is 18 wins and probably gets them an NIT invite.

Which is improvement over last season’s 17 wins and no post season.

In that scenario Smith keeps his job. If he loses to one of the Bay Area schools at home and OSU on the road and misses any postseason play Harlan has to pull the plug

Start fresh going into the big12

tanute3
      Ute Fan
      @tanute3

I really wanted to support Craig (and did more so this year much more than in years prior). But P5 coaches either need to recruit at a high level or be a master at in-game coaching, scheming, adjustments, etc. Obviously we would preferably have both in a coach… However, CS has shown he can’t recruit, and the ends of this year and last have shown me he also can’t get this team prepped to win the games that matter most.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

See Tanny, we’re in agreement again. I’ve had season tickets for the last few years but I’m certainly not reupping next season if Smith stays around. As I’ve said, I’ve seen enough to know that Utah, under his leadership, will never come close to even the heights that Coach K took it to. As many have said on this site, it’s hard to see how Utah improves next year with a worse team in a better conference. We might be the equivalent of what Cal was under Mark Fox.

CoyoteUte
        Ute Fan
        @coyoteute

I agree with you. I’ve been on the optimistic side for Uncle Fester, but I’m starting to lose faith. Things like turnovers, poor FT shooting, and recruiting all have me concerned… The same issues have been biting us in the ass all season and they haven’t been fixed.

Also, we dam near have as many assistant coaches on the basketball staff as we do the football staff 🤦‍♂️ Whats that all about?

Minnesota Ute
        Ute Fan
        @minnesotaute

I would add that in either case, recruiter or mastermind, you have to be able to motivate. You have to build a culture of accountability, and of confidence. CS has unfortunately shown that he is unable to do either. This team simply does not believe in their own ability to make shots, to make FT, and to grind out close wins. His team has quit on him halfway through the season for the second year in a row. Is it his crazy substitution scheme? Is it his infantilization of the team, does he not know how to pick and promote the right leaders within the group? I don’t know, but this team has no excuse for losing they way they do. So many of these recent losses were winnable games but they just failed to rise to the challenge. Buck stops with him.

Utes 69
      Ute Fan
      @slc123

I also agree, I am done with the BB team until serious recruiting and coaching are back o the mighty Utes. they are unable to sell tickets, I will not be looking forward to watching games at night after work or weekends.
      TSPP, Utah State and Weber are all better teams, Utah 4th best team in the State is a shame. ugggggggggg

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Comparison Between K and Smith