Compensating College athletes.

Viewing 7 reply threads

AUDIIDUA
      Ute Fan
      @audiidua

Looks like Washington is trying to move the needle. Many questions to ask but the first that comes to mind is whether this allows a recruiting advantage over State’s that don’t pay?

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/washington-state-reps-bill-to-pay-college-athletes-unlikely-to-pass-but-its-a-step-in-the-right-direction/

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I will probably lose interest all together in College Football at that point. The haves and have nots gap will widen even further. 

FountainofUte
        Ute Fan
        @fountainofute

Agreed. I’m not interested in seeing college sports become pro. While a lot is better for Utah being in the PAC-12, college football is as subjective and “bought and paid” as it ever was when we were in the MWC and we knew we were on the outside looking in before the season ever started.

A part of me wishes that college sports would go Ivy League and just get rid of athletic scholarships. College sports are dying a slow death.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

I will say healthcare related to injuries for life. Yet that is a whole other can of worms. I see the money in these TV deals though and something needs to go to these kids. 

2 1

UteThunder
            Ute Fan
            @utethunder

These kids are getting paid quite a bit already. 

2 1

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

Crumbs in my opinion compared to what they pocket for their work. I see both sides I don’t like the idea of paying players. Same time Lebron is bitching about NFL “slave” owners. Look at the college game for hells sake. 

2 1

UteThunder
                Ute Fan
                @utethunder

Half a million+ just to be coddled as a college athlete for 4-5 years is crumbs? Where can I sign up for these crumbs?

Utesbyfive
                  Ute Fan
                  @utesbyfive

People act like there’s zero value to a scholarship, which is simply not true. When you tie in all the food, board, etc, that they get it’s a lot. Plus where else can they strive to enter a profession which has the most stringent barrier to entry in the USA? The chance to play or coach pro sports is a profession for which their schooling prepares them. The student athelete already receives a hell of a compensation package. Cash payment turns the whole thing into an ugly semi-pro mess.

UteThunder
                    Ute Fan
                    @utethunder

My thoughts exactly.

iamthepreacher
      Ute Fan
      @iamthepreacher

I agree this would just turn college football into a minor league system where players would go wherever they’re paid the most. Not a good idea. The charm of college football is that it’s associated with universities. Going to football games is part of the campus experience.

Once you start paying players, it begs the question: what is the point of even maintaining a university affiliation? Huge slippery slope, IMO.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

If you turn them into professionals, then should a university be able to pull a scholarship if the player isn’t producing the way the coaches would like? If you can get cut in the NFL, why not the NCAA if they get paid? Making these kids pros is not good for the game in all aspects. If they want to increase the stipend, fine, but don’t make them pros.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

It was nice of Arizona basketball to be the pilot program for this.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Europe does it right IMO. They should make all college teams private clubs, and offer scholarships and such as they see fit for players that want to go to school 

COFfrom83
      Ute Fan
      @coffrom83

when the vast majority of universities lose money on athletics one has to wonder where the money would come from?

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

How would Title IX com into play here?

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

If you turn them into professionals by paying them and they’re losing money for the university, how can justify paying them? If the NFL were not profitable, it wouldn’t be around. Most college athletic teams don’t make money for the school. They’re supported through tax payer dollars. Why should tax payers foot the bill for professional athletes that aren’t making any money for the university? It’ll be harder to justify title 9. So in my mind either title 9 would have to go away or all of college athletics will.

AUDIIDUA
          Ute Fan
          @audiidua

An interesting solution would be to not pay the players, but rather, let them market themselves as they wish. Outside of “apparel sponsorships” why not allow players to obtain what they can? Or each college can build a tax deferred fund for use after graduation? They can even make it related to their performance.

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

That would just widen the gap between the haves and have nots. It would benefit USC but for schools like Utah, it would be even harder to sign people like Solomon Enis or Jaylon Johnson.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Compensating College athletes.