Conference strength

Viewing 2 reply threads

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

I’ve heard lots of folks talk about how “weak” the P12 was this year in relation to other conferences.  Made me go back and check the number of teams with winning records in each conference.

ACC:  8 teams at or over .500, 4 teams under .500

B10:  6 teams at or over .500, 6 teams under .500

B12:  8 teams at or over .500, 2 teams under .500

P12:  9 teams at or over .500, 3 teams under .500

SEC:  8 teams at or over .500, 4 teams under .500

Looks to me like the P12 has the most teams that are at least “average” and likely has more parity across the conference as a whole than any other.  There was really only one objectively bad team in the conference (OSU), with a whole bunch of teams that could take down any other team on any given Saturday. 

When we were in the MWC, the criticism was that it was easy to get up for 1-2 games a year when you get to play a bunch of cupcakes.  Which is not an entirely invalid criticism, to be honest.  Seems to me like each of the other conference gets at least one or two in conference “cupcake” games, whereas we really don’t (definitely didn’t this year).

Just an observation.

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

Every other conference needs to play 9 conference games, or the PAC needs to change and only schedule 8 and a mid-late season cupcake. We have enough working against us with the East coast bias that all pundits really care about is W-L, and you can’t afford to drop more than one game a year if you want to contend. 

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

Serious question: why can’t the PAC play only 8 conference games?

THEeyepatch
          Ute Fan
          @theeyepatch1

Sal:

Because the Pac-12 continually want to shoot itself in the foot with a 9 game conference schedule and a weak TV network. 

noneyadb
          Ute Fan
          @noneyadb

To keep northern and southern California schools happy. Stanford had to play USC every year…

SalUteopia
          Ute Fan
          @saluteopia

This needs to be fixed. Everyone deserves to play a Mercer or THE Citadel.

SkinyUte
            Ute Fan
            @skinyute

i tend to agree. Those late season “bye” weeks in the SEC must be a godsend.

X723
      Ute Fan
      @x723

Look at SOS
      Al. 56
      Wash. 58
      USC 16
      Utes 44

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Conference strength