Depleted Secondary for Rose Bowl?

Viewing 2 reply threads

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

Anyone know how we are looking in the Secondary? I’m especially worried given this is by far the best passing offense we’ve seen this year. Their 3 NFL WRs remind me of the USC team we faced in ‘19.
      I’m hearing our guys are pretty banged up but hoping the month between games is enough time to get guys healed up and healthy. Newman reported that Hubert is finally able to participate in practice but is limited and will likely not be available for the game.

Curious who we have back there that’s expected to start aside from CP3 and Bishop? And also who do we have behind the starters in case anyone else goes down? Sounds like we are paper thin at Safety?

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

Savage, Smith, Latu, LPJ. Mataele to name a few. Davis/Bishop at Safety so no change there. Phillips locks down one corner spot and Malone should play the nickel so it’s just a matter of finding the other corner and hoping no injuries. Micah Bernard has gotten some time at corner among others so they’re fiddling with a handful of options.

The good thing is they have a basically a month to work on it and find the right combos. It’s also yet to be known whether or not the OSU receivers play. 2 of the 3 did not practice yesterday…still could be some opt outs.

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

You’re the man Onlyu…thanks so much!!

Trailgoat
        Ute Fan
        @utahgoat

Scalley, Shah, and the rest of the defensive Utah coaching staff including KW given so much time to prepare will have a solid game plan whether Wilson or Olave play or not. tOSU is working really hard to try and get up for this game. Most of their fan base is checked out viewing this game as an “exhibition”, all for nothing. A small % of tOSU fans know Utah is the real deal and tOSU can’t just show up half heartedly and compete. 

Looking more each day at least for Wilson and Olave to not play. Might see Olave play enough to get his 1,000 yards or not, but seems unlikely, why risk it. By the end of the week if these guys have not practiced all week like yesterday, I can’t imagine they’re going to play. Have to think the cats out of the bag by early next week when both teams show up for all the Rose Bowl pre-game pomp and circumstance. 

Utah is not the kind of team anybody wants to play if their hearts not in the game. I forsee Utah sticking to the game plan, physically/mentally imposing their will on tOSU until they give up like UO did. Scalley will give Stroud a bunch of looks, tricky pressure, and make him uncomfortable in the pocket. I am guessing Utah will keep the passes in front of the coverage and clamp it down in the red zone like Scalley masterfully does. If Utah stops the run it makes so hard to score TDs inside the redzone with a short field against Utah. Stroud is not going to run the ball. He doesn’t like to and Day won’t let him, too risky. Keep tOSU offense off the field with Utah’s grinding running game is also key. Utes need to put it on tOSU early and break them down. Big Utah crowd is also a huge advantage. Utes got this one.

concerned
      Ute Fan
      @concerned

I heard that Bernard looks really good at corner behind Savage. Is that something that might be permanent, or is it like Jason Shelley playing safety then transferring?

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

Good question but Micah has looked good out there and may be the answer on the 1st. Not sure about long term possibilities but I’m sure they’ll give it a look. Money getting some run out there too but I don’t think that will stick.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Depleted Secondary for Rose Bowl?