Does anyone understand what "roughing the passer" is anymore?

Viewing 3 reply threads

Ute Bc
      Ute Fan
      @utebc

I was concerned and relieved when Chase would drill their QB after he released the ball.  In the past, it seems that we have seen some flags on those hits.   TheirQB is probably quite sore today

Overall – a VERY clean game 1 from a penalty perspective.  Great to see.

Chidojuan
      Ute Fan
      @chidojuan

Those hits all looked clean to me, clear intent to interrupt the pass rather than “punish the passer” to use the NCAA language.

Ute Bc
        Ute Fan
        @utebc

I don’t know – they were after he released the ball.  Does the fact that he was outside the pocket matter?

ironman1315
          Ute Fan
          @ironman1315

By I think there’s like a step or two grace atea for the defender. Those hits were all right there.

Chidojuan
          Ute Fan
          @chidojuan

I think it does subjectively. Hansen is also really good at leading with the shoulder and because of that he can give a good pop and doesn’t have to dramatically ride the quarterback to the ground. If he didn’t hit so hard, he’d probably get called for pulling down the QB. Overall, the penalty is even more obscure than targeting.

jamarcus24
      Ute Fan
      @jamarcus24

Definitely surprised flags weren’t thrown on those.  Not that I think they should have been because they were good, clean hits but it seems like those kinds of hits on the QB always draw flags these days.

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

I was terrified when I saw those 2 hits also. Chase did use his shoulder, but I have memories of refs calling a penalty for “launching” like that, not sure if that is no longer a thing because the gray area on this stuff is tweaked every year.

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

In a lot of the tighter officiated PAC12 games we’ve seen, some of those hits could easily have been called, but the officials had a light hand last night as both teams had small penalty counts.

But Chase had a great game last night and was a monster.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Best game I have seen from a Pac12 crew.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Does anyone understand what "roughing the passer" is anymore?