Draft Grades related Question

Viewing 2 reply threads

utahby05
      Ute Fan
      @utahby05

It’s expected that several players that have atleast 1 year of eligibility remaining, will forgoe that year and declare for the NFL draft.

A key part of a players decision to leave early, is the players “Draft Grade.” 

I could be wrong on this, but my understanding, players requesting a Draft Grade will be told 1 of 3 things related to which round they can “Expect,” to be drafted in. The player is told : 1st round, 2nd round, or recommended to remain in school. 

My question is, does anyone know up to what date players can receive draft grades ? 

Also, when is the last day Underclassmen can declare eligible to enter the draft ? 

Thanks in advance for answers to these questions and Go UTES !! 

richute
      Ute Fan
      @richute

Another question, if a player declares for the draft but doesn’t get drafted can he then decide to come back to school if he has another year of eligibility?

utahby05
        Ute Fan
        @utahby05

That is a fair question for sure, as I believe the answer is yes – as it pertains to basketball.

But, my understanding with football is, once a player declares eligible for the NFL draft – that’s it. Therefore, they have essentially, foregone their remaining college eligibilty. That is why the Draft Grade, which again is an estimate / prediction – is super important.

Again, this ^ is my understanding and I could be wrong. But, pretty sure on this question. 

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

the determiner used to be if the kid hired an agent, thus making him a professional and no longer eligible to play in college. i do not know how/if the new NIL legislation affects.

UteStuckInSeattle
      Ute Fan
      @utestuckinseattle

From the NFL Operations website, regarding the deadline for declaring for the draft:

Underclassmen have until seven days following the NCAA National Championship Game to declare their intentions to do so.”

https://operations.nfl.com/journey-to-the-nfl/the-nfl-draft/the-rules-of-the-draft/

Regarding going back to school, players that have declared for the draft can continue their education but waive their remaining eligibility for playing sports. However, it looks like the NCAA is working on changing the rules for this in the future:

https://www.ncaa.org/about/committed-change

utahby05
        Ute Fan
        @utahby05

Good find, thanks for the share. 

So, Underclassmen have until 7 days following the National Championship game to declare for the NFL Draft. 

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Draft Grades related Question