Dual threat?

Viewing 2 reply threads

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

I keep hearing dual threat qb mentioned over and over. What is a dual threat? Was NJ a dual threat? He could run but couldn’t pass. Barnes was more of a dual threat than NJ. Ok at both but not great. Nix? Penix? Both could scramble or run for a first down. I would not consider them equal at both. Caleb Williams definitely a dual threat.

QBs that do both equally as well are hard to find. Name one qb in the last several CFP playoffs would be considered a dual threat? All were better passers first but could run if needed.

All qbs are athletes that can run. I would take a qb that can throw down field over a top running qb that can only throw short. What’s your take?

DrahtUte
      Ute Fan
      @drahtute

It seems like the term “dual threat” has morphed over the last decade. It used to seem to describe QBs that intentionally ran on about as many plays as they passed. Now it seems like it just means any QB who is very fast when scrambling. I definitely prefer the latter type of QB.

homer
        Ute Fan
        @homer

Penix is a drop bath pro type QB. He scrambles under pressure. His passing efficiency drops significantly when he is forced to scramble.

He isn’t considered a run threat option type QB

Hellhound152
          Ute Fan
          @hellhound152

That may be the case now. Penix was a true read option QB at Indiana. The injuries facilitated the change similar to what we saw with Brian Johnson after the knee injury.

12 1

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Barnes was a triple threat but one of the three threats was to our own offense. 

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

three things can happen when you throw the ball and two of them are bad – Woody Hayes

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Dual threat?