“Fake slide” play controversy

Viewing 7 reply threads
      1 5

UtesRule
      Ute Fan
      @utesrule

Most have probably seen the Piit QB’s play where he was running free, appeared to go to slide down and then kept running for several more yards for a TD. I currently see this headline n ESPN: “Wake Forest football coach Dave Clawson says NCAA should review rules on fake slides following TD by Pitt QB Kenny Pickett”.

FIRST of all – I have watched the play several times now and to me, it is MUCH more likely that he just realized that there was enough open space to continue running, MUCH more than he decided in mid-play to do a “Fake Slide”.

SECOND – if he did decide to do a fake slide, who cares? Is this any different than faking to run right, then quickly moving back left after the defender bites on the initial move right?

Help me understand the controversy here? Is there some safety concern I’m missing? Are we going to make football rules so you can’t tackle (move to flags) and you can’t do anything to deceive.

Feels like a
      Sour grapes from the losing coach to me!

Utecity
      Ute Fan
      @utecity

At least for me, the controversy comes from the fact that if the defender had followed through on tackling the QB as he went into his slide he would have been penalized, and let up because of that just for the QB to keep running. There is definitely a rules advantage for the QB in that situation, and in fact we had a very similar occurrence against byu in 2018 (?) with Zach Wilson doing the same exact thing and then getting blown up when he actually tried to slide. Quarterback shouldn’t retain the same protection in that situation

belli1976
      Ute Fan
      @belli1976

Remember when Huntley would fake slide. Oh wait, he didn’t know how to slide.

Huntley is awesome but that was one the weirdest things to watch from such an amazing athlete.

9 1

Italy88
      Ute Fan
      @itacoatiara22

Need to penalize the fake slide. Huge disadvantage to the defense.

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

It’s because defenders can’t hit the QB when he starts to slide or else they get a penalty. You saw three defenders stop pursuing as soon as the “slide” began. If QB’s are going to start faking a slide, you’re going to see defenders hit QB’s who are actually sliding.

Like I said yesterday, if a defender can’t hit a sliding QB then a QB shouldn’t be able to fake slide.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

This is the downside of having a ‘protected player” on the field.   Why can’t the QB be hit just like any other player?  I understand a punter and QB might breifly be in positions where they are “defenseless” but running past the LoS should not be one of them.  End the Slide Rule!

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

They can be hit like any other player except in one circumstance, and one only, which is a QB slide. Faking a slide should be a penalty and dead ball at the spot. QBs are at hugely more risk for injury because they get hit from the blind side so often, and they are a target of a disproportionate number of defensive plays than any other position. I think they deserve some protections, but I think with that, they shouldn’t use it for a competitive advantage, nor should they be allowed to.

1 4

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

Are the thumbs down because this post is not in the correct category?

UteStuckInSeattle
      Ute Fan
      @utestuckinseattle

Similar to a fair catch, a slide is indicating that you are giving yourself up and ending the play to avoid taking a big hit.

Would you be okay with a returner rolling off TD after TD using a fake fair catch?

With how much protection is being afforded “defenseless” players exploiting that would go against the whole spirit of why these protections were put in place to begin with.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Blechen was penalized for hitting a qb on a slide once. There is a reason the QB gave up so they are “defenseless”. 
      If you allow fake slides it gives an advantage. Some defensive players would rather get the hit anyways. 
      Play should be whistled dead. But I also see Pac 12 refs dicking this up and a cut being perceived as a “slide”.  Hell I have seen them spot the ball incorrectly after a slide.  

I am a defense first guy and the offense is afforded tons of advantages. 

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football “Fake slide” play controversy