Fans

Viewing 4 reply threads

Ute2
      Ute Fan
      @ute2

this all sucks but it will be fun, however, to be in a conference where fan support and investment is a lot better.  

fan support(or lack thereof) is a major reason we’re here.  I think a majorly understated factor is that west coast lost interest in CFB by and large.  How many empty stadiums did we play infront of during the pac-12 time?  

cal, always emptystanford, always empty

oregon, full or mostly soosu, hit and miss, but a lot of miss

ucla, often empty.(2018 was a ghost town)

usc, hit and miss, big miss if they weren’t really really good.  

arizona, hit and miss but slot of miss.

az state, hit and miss.  They cut seats

wazzu, very empty 

Washington, largely full right?

cokorado, often empty. 

utah, ‘x’ straight sellouts!  Boo-ya!!!  We were the ONLY ones!  (On a positive note, a Utah market that REALLY freaking cares is alot better then a Bay Area that doesn’t care worth a soggy duke in the public park.  Our eyes will be watching that dang tube! Engagement better be a huge factor when the major two consider future expansion.)

I think this was a bell-weather for asses in front of a tv too so…. not good.  If we’d all as a conference been tuning to the p-12 network, Larry would’ve looked like a genius and forced direc-tv’s hand.  But the west coast said, “meh, we’ll go walk our dogs and get some coffee, check out the latest indie band.” Larry was a big d but but he wasn’t in my opinion behind west coast apathy.  The Midwest and the south loveeeeee them some college football.  So they’re calling the shots now.  

Ute2
      Ute Fan
      @ute2

I think this may explain why Oregon and Washington are shockingly still out in the cold.

if they’re really worth it then why not snatch them up?

well… they have good attendance but not quite sellouts, often.  To me that means that a cheap seat in game day isn’t hard to come by.  So for alot of people that means either you’re at the game or you don’t give a rip(of course some prefer the couch) and aren’t watching at all.  Maybe while they draw a nice attendance, they aren’t super valuable tv properties.

which brings us to Utah.  We are a smaller market but our season ticket sales are through the roof, a seat for a good game will cost you a pretty, pretty penny.  So a lot of people are getting priced out and will be on that couch watching the game.  So our maker suddenly looks better.

this is all good theory.  I wonder how the tv ratings do or don’t support it haha.

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

College football, and sports, in general, are not the draw for the younger generation on the west coast. This is true.
      Is it also the case for young folks in the intermountain west?

fosternano
      Ute Fan
      @fosternano

Washington in recent years is starting to wash up, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them become the program they were when Utah first joined the PAC, being a middle dweller at best.

Oregon has been good, but they haven’t lived up to the Chip Kelly glory years after he left.

With so many questions around those two programs I don’t know if a big10 invite will come (at the very least it would be easy to leave Washington out.)

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

If we’d all as a conference been tuning to the p-12 network, Larry would’ve looked like a genius and forced direc-tv’s hand.

I think you are missing a major component: If you didn’t have Dish, you couldn’t watch the Pac-12 Network. It’s hard to force DirecTV’s hand when the means to do so is not available to you.

Larry Scott was always going to look like an idiot, he just needed to be given enough time. Ultimately, it is the conference leadership that shoulders the bulk of the blame for keeping him employed well after he had proven without a shadow of a doubt that he was inept.

Ute2
        Ute Fan
        @ute2

Chicken or the egg… 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
        I say I’d more people cared more would’ve switched, direc sunscribership would’ve dropped and they’d have caved. Or something like that.

Leverage could’ve been on either side. I’m making the case that west coast apathy gave the leverage to direc.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

Just to be clear, you are advocating that if enough people had voluntarily dropped their cable or DirecTV subscriptions and signed up with Dish (and let them know that access to the P-12 Network was the only reason for doing so).,, then those other outlets would have seen the light and started carrying the Pac-12 Network?

Seems more like a guy who hit on 19 with a 3 showing than a genius. At the very least, you have to admit that he vastly overestimated the value of the content that he was trying to sell and passed on multiple opportunities to expand the conference’s viewership by finding a price that would bring DirecTV, Comcast, etc to the table.

Last time I checked, 1% of something is infinitely more than 100% of nothing.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.