Finebaum

Viewing 5 reply threads

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

The Finebaum thing is upsetting. Here is a national voice (SEC honk or not) who gets on national television along with Stephen A, who everyone knows, and who knows plenty about Utah being that he’s covered the NBA for 30 years. So he’s been to SLC many times. And these two are laughing about Utah being in. Not because of the way they PLAY FOOTBALL but Because if there lack of brand and because “it’s utah”. The thing I hate the most in this world is ignorance and disrespect. While I agree our fan base is sensitive (although we are getting better) it’s bull**** and lazy. The only way we will ever get the respect we deserve is by showing out. Let’s show out tomorrow. Go Utes. 

Wilson’s Mustache
      Ute Fan
      @sigmaute

If they are trying to make fun of Utah because of Geography…well thats a particularly weird take in college football considering most big brand or “blue blood” programs reside in some pretty less than desirable and often very rural areas…

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Oklahoma and Alabama being prime examples.

PlainsUte
          Ute Fan
          @plainsute

Norman is essentially a suburb of Oklahoma City.   It is suburban, not rural (that would be more like Stillwater) — one can debate how “desirable” it is.  I am not familiar with Tuscaloosa, but have had several business trips to Huntsville, so I can say not all of Alabama is rural in character, either.

I think Finebaum’s argument is that Utah is not a “Blue Blood” football program.   I think most people would agree its a dumb consideration, perhaps even antithetical to NCAA sports competition, but everyone know he’s a honk for the SEC, in fact his one claim to fame is a book he wrote that literally says his conference (SEC) is better than all others.

Tednab
      Ute Fan
      @tednab

I need that perception to continue ; too many people moving here already .. Utah is a best kept secret ; regardless of what the critics say . As far as the Utes go ; this will be settled on the field

3 4

Anonymous
        Ute Fan
        @anonymous

Not if the air pollution continues. If it weren’t for my parents’ health, not sure I would have moved back.

4 2

UtahPilot47
          Ute Fan
          @utahpilot

I respect your opinion but posts like yours are exactly how Utefans.net drifted from a Ute fan site to a political site.  One of the many reasons I love Ute Hub is because we keep focussed on our beloved Utah sports.  I hope we can keep it that way.  

Anonymous
            Ute Fan
            @anonymous

You’re right. Thanks for the reminder — deleted the political portion of my comment.

Dexter36
      Ute Fan
      @dexter36

I think his comments have potentially helped Utah TBH. All the fans across the country tired of the same teams every year now have a great underdog who’s been insulted to root for.

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

I’ll sometimes listen to the Finebaum podcast in the summer when I’m jonesing for some college football talk.  Let’s just say that following an afternoon of listening to his callers…  I feel really good about my IQ.

Swoop Doggy Dogg
      Ute Fan
      @swoopdoggydogg

Finebaum was NOT talking about Utah’s merits of inclusion. He was talking about a marketable TV product. And in that case, Oklahoma is a much larger brand than Utah.

Who cares? The Lakers are a bigger name than the Jazz. The New York Yankees have much more clout and mistique than the Colorado Rockies. Everyone knows this. 

Win football games and you earn respect and more eye balls watching your team. Do that for a sustained time period, you turn into a “new rich” like Clemson or Oregon. The blue bloods will always be the blue bloods. Ohio State, USC, Oklahoma, and Alabama. 

Swoop Doggy Dogg
        Ute Fan
        @swoopdoggydogg

And let me clarify, that I don’t agree with his point and think it was a stupid thing to say. Pat Forde was talking about how every sport loves an underdog… except the college football world, which is so saturated in tradition. 

Utah deserves a playoff spot if they beat Oregon. So does the winner of the BIG 12 title game. Picking between the two is a stupid argument to be having. No more ice skating-type committee BS and polls. Decide it on the field. Open up the playoffs to eight teams.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.