Free throw percentage

Viewing 1 reply thread

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

LoL…. I’ve always wondered about free-throws.  Hell, I was not that good at basketball but I could make an uncontested shot from 15 feet back in the day.   If I had a college scholarship I would certainly make sure i was mkaing 80% or better.   So what is the deal with the players who can barely break 50%, this is not something I would tolerate as a college coach.

Daedalus
        Ute Fan
        @daedalus

A common refrain is that they hit them fine in practice. It’s psychological. 

cjd1
          Ute Fan
          @cjd1

Yes a lot different when 18,000 people are watching you.

Minnesota Ute
          Ute Fan
          @minnesotaute

It’s like the yips in golf

PlainsUte
          Ute Fan
          @plainsute

Didn’t one or more basketball coaches get some psychologists to help their team with “the yips”?

My argument would be that the mechanics should be so automatic you could hit them with your eyes closed, so it doesn’t matter who is watching.   Granted some shots are going to be more high pressure, but games are won and lost by those shots, so its worth extra time practicing, like right now, and you don’t even need the team to get together for it.

Tony (admin)
            Admin/Founder
            @admin

MJ made free throws in games with his eyes closed. Then again, we don’t have MJ on our team.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Free throw percentage