From the NYT today, thought provoking read…

Viewing 5 reply threads

UtahFanSir
      Ute Fan
      @utahfansir

Why Republicans Can’t Do Health Care.

I certainly agree that in US politics, we have entered into a Brave, New World.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

In some ways, I almost want him to get this bill passed. It may be the end of the republican party as we know it, and it may lead to repbulicans actually using their brains. 

But, then again, as long as politicians have their hands so deep in special interests/lobbyists pockets, nothing will change. 

SkinyUte
        Ute Fan
        @skinyute

In some ways, I almost want him to get this bill passed. It may be the end of the republican party as we know it, and it may lead to repbulicans actually using their brains.

It’s been proven that people will vote against their own self-interests time and time again, as long as the correct letter is next to a candidate’s name. I don’t see how this would be any difference.

The above message brought to you by the “Leopard Eating People’s Faces Party”

Puget Ute
        Ute Fan
        @pugetute

Conversely, how many people need to suffer or die to prove a point?

mokus
          Ute Fan
          @mokus

As long as they are poor, they can all die and it won’t prove a point because poor people are the problem.  …so I hear.

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

Megan McCain had an interesting take this morning. She said the Republicans have a one time shot at “getting this right.” They have to put out a version of health care that is cost conscious, meets the needs of all layers of society and is sustainable. That may well be a virtual impossibility given the desire to not have government mandates, but that is the target.

2 2

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

There is an easy way to do it…well, a couple of ways. I think Germany’s way is the best option out there, non profit insurance companies, the sickness plan and then if you make $72,000 or above you can opt out and get private insurance.Or, you go to a single payer. 

According to Republicans, both those options are a front to Jesus…or, the lobbyists that they have their pockets lined with. 

The Republicans are screwed on this one. They can’t fix it without raising taxes, doing a government plan, or any of the other things they’ve decried as evil for 8 years now. 

Utahute72
          Ute Fan
          @utahute72

Have you ever had to get medical care in Germany.  You might want to talk to my oldest son if you haven’t.

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

On that issue, my main beef with health insurance is that it is tied so much to employers. When I change jobs, it is not like I need to get new switch car insurance carriers. I have no problem with employers giving their employees a health insurance subsidy as a benefit, but that subsidy should just come as tax free cash for the employee to use in purchasing health insurance. I don’t like my employer essentially dictating what insurance options are available or switching insurers/providers when I change jobs.

And yes, I realize I can get a policy not through my employer, but not if I want to take advantage of my employers benefits. So I say, let the employer give the benefit, but allow the employee then shop the marketplace independent of the employer.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

It’s a valid point, but the system is broken well before we even get to this point. 

There is NO way to stop these price gouges without a single payer system. Someone to negotiate, stand up for the people. 

And, no, letting companies compete across state lines won’t fix anything. 

How is BCBS of Nebraska supposed to come to Utah and compete against BCBS of Utah, when BCBS of Utah has all sorts of deals already with physicians/hospitals, etc? 

That’s a fallacy. 

PorterRockwell
      Ute Fan
      @porterrockwell

That was great.  Thanks for linking that.  

UtahFanSir
        Ute Fan
        @utahfansir

You are welcome. Without question, affordable heath care within a HC system inherently designed for profit and not market based, particularly regionally, has disadvantaged many. Costs are astronomical for all and not affordable for many, which is why this issue was elevated to a national scale. Costs have risen to a point where it is becoming more difficult to find a company offering it, especially smaller ones.

As I posted with links a few days ago, HC cost is one of the leading causes of personal bankruptcy. Personally, I believe purchase of HC for a family and individual is paramount and needs to be considered a fixed cost, like rent or a house payment. I just think something needs to be done on a large enough platform (larger than many states) to get folks access at more reasonable cost structure. If that can be done while minimizing costs to the USG, all the better. Costs were not addressed either at all or adequately in the ACA. Seems like that was forbidden ground. Too bad. And that fact allowed insurance companies in particular to raise rates, in part to cover the provision of pre-existing conditions.

So, I wait with bated breath to see what this president does. I half expect him to avoid any details, since he has already demonstrated an impatience with them. My fear is that he will not work on key provisions, instead simply defaulting to a job well done with whatever the Republicans come up with. I just don’t think Trump has ideas at the level required to protect us Americans in this one aspect.

Folks seem to vote against their own interests. This article says they don’t: White Working Class People Vote Against Their Interests? They Don’t.

A much better article in Forbes from late 2016, very well researched mind you, says we do and for complex reasons. See Here’s Why You May Vote Against Yourself.

2 2

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

Trump is proving to be the laziest president we have ever had. It wouldn’t shock me if in 3 years he announces he has done all he came to Washington to do and is not running for president again. 

1 1

PorterRockwell
      Ute Fan
      @porterrockwell

After reading and digesting your link the democrats did a masterful job of rebranding Romneycare.   They did a masterful job of creating a situation where IF the Republicans just repeal then do they face voter wrath at the midterms for stripping 20 million of their fellow Americans of healthcare coverage?  

The republican party has paid lip service to health care reform for at least 30 years.  

Every time I see a situation like  this I try and follow the money.  I’m sure that some health care entities donated to both parties but it certainly seems that the republicans got the larger share of the Larges?

The republicans are going to have to govern now.  They can’t just be the part of obstruction like the last eight years or so.

We will find out soon IF they know how to govern.  I’m not convinced they do.  It’s easy in a state like Utah where you’ve gerrymandered bullet proof districts, not so much so on a national scale.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

They’ve had 8 years to prepare for this moment. 

Yet it looks like they no clue what they are doing. You’d think you prepare for the day you had power. 

Viewing 5 reply threads

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Politics From the NYT today, thought provoking read…