Guys, we are 6-1 and just had an amazing win AT USC

Viewing 2 reply threads
      18 3

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Can we please stop railing on the coaches? It’s embarrassing. Our offense is playing a backup QB, is missing 3 running backs, and our 2 most productive pass catchers (plus others). This doesn’t even beghin to describe the issues this team has had this year… and we are SIX AND ONE!!!

Ludwig tonight – was the play calling perfect? NOPE, but it was excellent at times when it needed to be excellent. There is a reason Ludwig hasn’t let Barnes do certain things. We saw that reason on the Pick 6. There were definitely times when the offense was too predictable, but overall Ludwig has done a masterful job just getting this team to score any points at all. We are starting a farmer at QB, a QB and Safety at RB, a defensive end at TE… The fact that we are moving the ball at all is a miracle of coaching.

The defense could have done much better stopping the run, but they did what they had to.

This was a season-defining win. Even if we lose every other game this year, I’ll be a happy fan.

Brettski
      Ute Fan
      @brettski

Great post! I’ll admit I thought we’d lose this one 31-13 or something like that. So glad to see the team own USC (4 in a row) and won’t play them again for who knows how long.

5 2

Sir Potsdam
      Ute Fan
      @sirpotsdam

My issue is how much we consistently run into the middle of the line, particularly in 3rd or 4th and short and even my visually impaired grandmother knows what is coming. How about some off tackle or misdirection plays like usc had on him one of their TDs. It was a thing of beauty.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

There were plenty of off-tackle runs tonight. I suspect we run those plays because those are the plays that work most often in practice. It certainly is frustrating, but I gotta think Ludwig isn’t stupid. If he’s calling those plays, he must have a good reason for doing it.

He certainly isn’t the perfect play caller, but he did a solid job tonight. If not for a few huge mistakes outside of his control, we would have won that game by two scores.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

The biggest issue for me is when he brings certain players in, you know exactly what is going to happen… and that makes the job way too easy for the defense. If I, who have never played a down of organized football in my life (long story), know what play is about to be run, you are doing it wrong. That is definitely a bone worth picking, but Ludwig is a great OC overall. He has to work with what he has, and he has VERY VERY little this year. The predictability is unavoidable at times for that reason.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

If the same genius is calling plays that are obvious to the casual observer, is he really a genius? asking for a friend

chinngiskhaan
            Ute Fan
            @chinngiskhaan

You tell me. I didn’t call him a genius.

2008 National Champ
              Ute Fan
              @cptmrgn05

did you edit your post? I try to only reply to what the previous said. but since I see “great OC” now, please substitute for genius with my apologies

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Guys, we are 6-1 and just had an amazing win AT USC