Horse collar ot no?

Viewing 7 reply threads

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

New definition of horse collar includes tackling by grabbing the jersey in the “nameplate area”.   So is this the nameplate area or not.  In subsequent images the jersey stretches so the top of the shoulder pad is exposed and it looks like he’s grabbing the top of the shirt sleeve but that seems to be because of the stretching and twisting of the jersey toward McCormick’s right shoulder.

Horse Collar BYU vs Utah

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Red goggles: yes
      Blue goggles: no

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I think that he lets go it’s not a horse collar. 

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

Yea, I didn’t see that as a horse collar. But I also agreed that they got the sack/fumble call right, so what do I know.

Grimmetal
      Ute Fan
      @grimmetal

If I recall correctly, he wasn’t brought down to the ground with the move. Did it contribute to him losing the ball? Possibly. Just feels like a grey area. If the sides were switched, I probably wouldn’t call it one.

The BYU player grabbed him up by the shoulder and kind of pulled him back, let go and then went low to finish the tackle.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Absolutely PAC12 refs are idiots. But live I didn’t think so.

i noticed the PAC said they made an error in the ucla game yet never corrected the error on Utah’s overturned touchdown. 

dwainegf
      Ute Fan
      @dwainegf

It is a horse collar violation. The refs missed the call. Having said that, there is no way to get every call correct. However, I think the PAC 12 refs are possibly the worst in the country. Too many missed calls. Too many marginal calls. Too many picked up flags. Having a ref pick up a flag causes me to wonder why the flag was thrown to begin with. If the ref is not 100% certain on the call, the flag should stay in his/her pocket. I would love to watch a game and not notice the refs at all. No controversial calls, no overturned calls, no blatantly missed calls…..

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

That BYU game went on forever. It felt like every other play was a review and a little conference between what the call was. Disrupted Utah’s offensive rhythm a lot. 

TheJuggernaut
      Ute Fan
      @thejuggernaut

It’s not a horse collar, the no call was correct. While he does grab the jersey in the nameplate area, he lets go, and McCormick falls forward. The rule states you must grab the player AND immediately pull the player down. The rule was put in place to prevent knee and ankle injuries that were occurring when players were being pulled down from behind. Here’s the wording of the rule:

ARTICLE 15. All players are prohibited from grabbing the inside back collar
      of the shoulder pads or jersey, or the inside collar of the side of the
      shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling the ball carrier down.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Horse collar ot no?