Huntley Question (*ahem* Utah/OnlyU in particular)

Viewing 5 reply threads

CornellUte
      Ute Fan
      @cornellute

I know this has been raised a number of times, but what’s been seen in fall camp or been communicated by the coaching staff that Huntley “gets it” about handing the ball off more and not keeping it in the read-option? Going back watching games from last year, it seems like this is just his playing style.  Not only does it raise durability questions, but also seems unnecessary given you’ve got Moss, Shyne, and a lot of capable backs in the wings.  

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Taylor says that Huntley is making the right read 95% of the time. If I were to guess, last year, he was in the high 70s to low 80s.

CornellUte
        Ute Fan
        @cornellute

I’ve heard that, which begs the question if the offense should be adjusted to account for his number of carries. I like Huntley, guy’s got a ton of talent. Just wish he’d have about 10 less carries per game.

Dwight89
      Ute Fan
      @jordan-buckner

Yeah my guess is he has vastly improved his decision making this year. At least that seems to be what we’ve heard from coaches and camp reports. 

UtTroutHunter
      Ute Fan
      @uttrouthunter

It seems logical to assume many defensive coordinators are going to try to force Huntley to keep the ball in an effort to limit Moss’ touches, and to also knock the crap out of Huntley. I’m no expert, but I feel like how Troy Taylor adjusts to this strategy is going to be critical to the team’s offensive success.  

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

Which is why Huntley needs to slide and get oob after he gets the requisite yards for that down and distance.

UteThunder
          Ute Fan
          @utethunder

Or better yet, make like Khalil Tate and rip off some 30+ yard TD runs. If he can do that, DCs will definitely make him hand it off more. 

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Some things:

1- While I’m not as versed in RPO as you are in bird law, I’ll give it a go.
      2- Whitt and Taylor WANT Huntley to run, just do is when indicated and don’t get hit
      3- Huntley WANTS to run the ball, but he needed to fix three things. 1- Make reads quicker. 2- Don’t get hit. 3- Trust Moss. All indications point to Huntley doing all three things.

Some things to remember:

1- Whitt/Taylor don’t necessarily want Huntley to run less. If the defense takes away Moss and Covey, Huntley should run.
      2- Because of #1, there will be a lot of games where Huntley runs the ball 20+ times. It is what it is. It is the offense. It is what Whitt wants. It is what Taylor wants. Having a QB who can run destroys defenses.
      3- The key is not necessarily running less, but making the right reads (which should lead to running less), and protecting your body in two ways: GET DOWN. Don’t fight for the extra yard. FALL DOWN. If there isn’t a great option with Moss or Huntley, give it to Moss. Dude is built like a truck. Let him take the hits.

One thing I think you will see, as a way to protect Huntley, is less called true RPO. They will still do run/pass options, but it will be a double option, not a triple option (Huntley run, Moss run, Huntley throw).

More quick reads off the DE then out to Covey in a screen type pass. Bang/bang, less than 1 sec type stuff.

therealu
        Ute Fan
        @therealu

Thumbs up for the bird law reference, lol 🙂

Johnny80
        Ute Fan
        @johnny80

It was only a matter of time before someone brought bird law into the discussion…..

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

Guillermo del Torro was awesome in that one.

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

Its not a “playing style” thing its a “making reads” thing. Which naturally progresses as time in a system grows. Especially in Taylors system with at times heavily nuanced reads. Its something you expect to improve as comfort/confidence and overall reps in the playbook increase. 

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Huntley Question (*ahem* Utah/OnlyU in particular)