I enjoyed a hearty chortle at Oregon's expense

Viewing 4 reply threads

hnoseguard
      Ute Fan
      @hnoseguard

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Wow there seems to be a incident like that every January-February.   If I recall correctly Iowa had a major problem lwith that a few years ago (link below).   I guess every college football team goes gonzo on the weight training in the winter.   Pump everyone up before the Spring practices?  Maybe something the NCAA needs to look at as they are doing with concussions?

http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/2011/3/23/2066833/the-iowa-rhabdo-report-is-out-and-you-already-know-whats-in-it

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Muscles breaking down casuing kidney damage?  Geez.

hnoseguard
        Ute Fan
        @hnoseguard

Nobody’s getting kidney damage from 1 hour of up-downs.  I interpretted the report as Oregon is either out of shape or hasn’t been pushed with strenuous workouts in a long while.

jamarcus24
          Ute Fan
          @jamarcus24

Probably more to do with the latter.  Rhabdomyolysis isn’t super common but you find a lot of cases are the result of unexperienced people jumping right into high-intensity interval training (HIIT) .  Many critics of Cross Fit-type workouts like to warn people of the potential dangers of “Uncle Rhabdo.”  I’ve only ever seen or heard of maybe two or three cases of people having rhabdo and in every case all of them were beginning Cross Fitters who went from a near sedentary lifestyle to extreme lifter in a short period of time.

What I find interesting from the article is that the three hospitalized players are two O-linemen and a tight end.  So the new strength coach probably came in and implemented his program and these bigger guys are probably expected to perform several repetitions of heavy weight in a short amount of time and it’s just something they aren’t used to.

UTE98
            Ute Fan
            @ute98

@jmarcus24 I had a bout with “Uncle Rhabdo” at basic training. Partially due to not being hydrated enough, and partially due to the fact they expect 24 recruits, only 16 showed up to fill the cycle. And of course a little something about holding 40 lbs straight out from your body for approximately 45 minutes in Missouri heat and humidity. And me coming from Utah not being acclimated to the heat/humidity. Spent a week in the hospital, usually they administer an IV, however I downed about a gallon of water in the first hour after admission. Probably should mention the drill sergeants kind of left me alone for the first couple weeks of training. Perhaps the fact they denied me water when i asked for it during the 45 minutes of hell weighed on what little conscience they had. Anyway, I still have problems with my low back if I don’t exercise regularly and put on pounds over the winter. Oh, and of course I now am very susceptible to heat exhaustion, though that may stem from playing baseball in 106 degree weather as a kid in Idaho. Puking from heat stroke/exhaustion, it ain’t pretty. In Virginia, I had to acclimate to the heat/humidity for about three weeks 20 minutes to a half hour at a time before going outside for more than an hour.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Or they’re taking tons of anabolic steroids.
      http://www.renalandurologynews.com/renal-week-2009/steroids-may-harm-athletes-kidneys/article/164857/
      I’m not sayin’…I’m just sayin’.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Pac-12 I enjoyed a hearty chortle at Oregon's expense