I hate this but I feel he may be tempted…

Viewing 11 reply threads

Ute Bc
      Ute Fan
      @utebc

Here’s hoping Kyle won’t leave

• This topic was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Ute Bc.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I went to a luncheon quite a number of years ago. Probably before the 2012 season started, Whitt said he doesn’t want to be coaching into his 60’s. He also said he probably would only leave for an NFL job if it was the right fit for him and his family. Whitt has been here since 1994?? Guy doesn’t really spend his money lives a pretty modest lifestyle. I just don’t see him leaving.

EDIT:
      He also is close friends with Urban Meyer. I think he saw what happened to Urban in Florida and wants no part of it. Just again my observations of him.

Ute Bc
      Ute Fan
      @utebc

Everything you said is true. However, he had a dust up (to put it mildly) with Chris Hill this year. He is making less money than Sark is being paid and I wouldn’t be surprised if USC offers their next coach $5 Million. That is a ton of money.

He would have an entire team of 5 star recruits. His defense with that talent would be amazing. I don’t know how he would fit in culturally, however, that may be the last job he would ever need to work…

Anonymous
        Inactive

Oh and for all the love I feel towards Chris Hill he needs to get Whitt’s contract extended well past the Zoob games he has scheduled. Or all of that love will go out the window for Hill.

So remember choose love Hill.

Astute Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tstruct

Didn’t Hill try to match Urbans Florida contract. I think Whit stays. However don’t be surprised if Chip Kelly is back.

Dhisatake
        Ute Fan
        @dhisatake

Hill did the best he could with the budget. That was well before Utah had any budget, but he didn’t come close to the Florida offer. I think Florida’s offer was over 2 Mil and I think Utah offered Urban about 1.7 to stay.

Ute Bc
          Ute Fan
          @utebc

Actually, Hill matched the Florida offer. Urban just wanted to go.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Whitt should have a blank check. I don’t make a lot of money not a major booster but whatever it takes he should retire a Ute.

Ute Bc
        Ute Fan
        @utebc

If you look at it from a market perspective Utah has been getting a bargain. Harbaugh, Strong, Stoops are all making north of $5 Million. Issue Utah has, we don’t have that kind of donor base. It’s going to be a tough check to write.

GadValleyUte
      Ute Fan
      @maximumkungfu

Someone jokingly mentioned a crowd-funding campaign. Why not? How long did it take to fund the fieldhouse roof? I hate to go here, but you can only generate so much from the football team with present resources. One obvious place where we could be generating more revenue for the athletic department is… wait for it… stadium expansion. 8,000 more seats/game x7 games per year x $50/seat = 2.8 million/year. A real brilliant move is a huge capital campaign at the end of this year to pay for stadium expansion in cash so we can pay coach and have a new revenue stream. I bet you could get that done with a Rose Bowl win or CFP berth. Hill had better have that in his mind.

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

Whitt would be insane not to consider it. He plays a style of FB that the boosters would love. Whittball with USC talent on offense would be unstoppable. He would succeed on the field and in running the program.

But dealing with USC boosters would drive him up a wall.

Anonymous
        Inactive

Whitt is a proven coach dealing with and developing 3 star talent. 5 star talent comes with its own set of baggage that Whitt is inexperienced dealing with. Prabably not a great fit between expectations of the SC fan and and Whitt’s style.

THEeyepatch
      Ute Fan
      @theeyepatch1

Yeah, I’m sure Whittingham would love to take a job where if you lose, you’re fired on the plane ride home. Whittingham will stay where he has built a program that is now getting national respect and has a chance of finishing as a top 10 program.

USC has been a dumpster fire since Pete Carroll left and continues to be so and it couldn’t happen to a better program. Karma people, karma.

rbmw263
        Ute Fan
        @rbmw263

Job security and spotlight. 2 reasons I dont see Whitt taking it.

Gugstanley
      Ute Fan
      @gugstanley

Whitt needs to do what is best for him. If going to U$C and getting a guaranteed loss, every year vs Utah, is how he wants to end his career. Go for it. Depends on what type of legacy he wants, financial aspect and where he wants to live. I thought he said the NFL is the only move he would make.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Everyone loves to speculate. It fills word counts and bandwidth.

No one knows what drives Kyle Wittingham except Kyle Wittingham. We only know what we see from how he comports himself, coaches and lives his life. On the latter, he reportedly lives a rather simple life. He’s 55 years old and has stated on numerous occasions that he does not intend to be coaching much beyond 60. Given that fact set and what he’s been through the last 5 years, successfully building Utah to the highest level in one of the toughest conferences, I would be the most surprised person in the world if he left for USC. He most definitely would leverage it into more money at Utah, but he would not leave for USC and all that it entails.

Whitt is used to working on upstart programs. He’s used to recruiting and developing 2 star and 3 star recruits into talented players. His methods involve first breaking them down and them building them into his vision. Try that with a group of 5 star recruits who want everything their way. The USC fan base would still expect the 4 and 5 star recruits and Whitt would get them, but I’m not sure he’s the best choice to deal with them.

Stradlater
      Ute Fan
      @stradlater

Everybody says they won’t work much beyond 60 until they’re 60.

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

While I certainly wouldn’t blame him if he goes, I also think Whitt realizes that he has the opportunity to become something bigger than just a football coach here at Utah. He’s a part of the institution…a la Bill Snyder at K State. He could very easily be standing outside Whittingham Stadium someday, and I have to think that appeals to him at some level.

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football I hate this but I feel he may be tempted…