I have been following this story

Viewing 5 reply threads

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

https://www.ksl.com/article/46499495/byu-plans-to-appeal-states-attempt-to-decertify-its-police-department

I can’t believe they think they can have private police and use government records to investigate honor code violations. If anyone supports TDS having its own secret police beholden to itself is crazy. We are talking about taking people’s rights away as police officers. 

Wish they would just shut down that cesspool. I can also say I will never venture down into that campus ever again or Provo until they fix that.

TDS admin wants the campus to basically be the equivalent of Vatican City.

darklightning
      Ute Fan
      @darklightning

I’m (pleasantly) surprised to learn someone in the state had the spine to decertify them in the first place.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Well this is surpsing to me. The commissioner for DPS is a stake president. So either that whole deep secret state thing doesn’t exist or he will be released soon enough.

7 1

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

I am not a fan of universities (public or private) having a police force. If they want private security, fine. But a police force does not sit well with me. A campus is not its own city; they don’t have their own water system, sewer system, electrical department, fire department (do they?), etc. Just have private security that needs to call the real cops when needed, just like a mall or other large land owner. I feel the same way about schools having a separate “justice system” on campus to hold pseudo trials. Not a fan of these fiefdoms run by unelected academic administrators.

Johnny80
        Ute Fan
        @johnny80

Tell that to notre dame. They have their own zip code and airport if I remember correctly.

Edit: I agree with your thoughts on the matter .

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

I believe 84112 is reserved for the U of U. So I think we also have our own zip.

Johnny80
            Ute Fan
            @johnny80

I thought federal heights fell into that as well.

Utesbyfive
              Ute Fan
              @utesbyfive

I don’t know about that. My grandmother lived in Fed. Heights before she passed, and her zip was 84103, which encompasses all of the Avenues.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

It can have its own pros and cons. It is sometimes good to have a seperate department and administration that can meet the unique aspects policing on a campus has. What SLCPD handles on a daily basis is unique to what an officer assigned to the University handles. It also really comes down to money this is a seperate budget really for SLCPD.

As far as private universities taking state licensed officers to enforce the law. Sorry you can’t have them run your little private security crap. People already have a certain amount of fear on reporting crime. Don’t compound it by adding a honor code violation investigation on top of it.

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

Universities are actually more like a small city than you would think. And I don’t know about you, but if there is a problem that needs the help of police, then I want the police to be the ones who show up first. Not some yahoo with a badge but no gun and no real authority.

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

The U of U police department is permitted by the state, and all of the officers are POST certified, and trained cops with the same authority as SLPD.

UteThunder
            Ute Fan
            @utethunder

Right. And I’m in favor of having them over security guards.

sweetgrass
      Ute Fan
      @sweetgrass

I can’t help but picturing Andy Griffith asking Barney to hand in his bullet

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

So BYU-P’s police department just went independent?

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

BYUPXPD just scheduled Wagner.

OSH_UTE
      Ute Fan
      @runningutes

They have the honor code, they should be fine.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums They So Poo Poo I have been following this story