Illusions of 2024

Viewing 5 reply threads
      5 3

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

I think we all had some grand illusions of 2024. Michigan gave us hope. They made a commitment to all come back for one more year and go all in on a CFP title. The pinnacle of college sports.

We had a similar situation for 2024. A healthy Rising and Kuithe returning along with a defense that would return all starters and another year of experience. Offensive line returning with another year of playing as a a unit. Returning RBs healthy and more depth. WRs all returning with a veteran QB.

You couldn’t script it any better. I had convinced myself I would go all in as a fan and make it to all the playoff games. I could drift into the sunset of my life knowing I witnessed a program go from the bottom to the top.

It wasn’t meant to be. Yes we should be able to compete for a Big 12 title and I will be there cheering on my beloved Utes. If fandom overshadows reality then we still have shot. Now I can drift in to the sunset wondering what could have been.

Anfernee
      Ute Fan
      @anfernee

1. We are not Michigan. Just reality.
      2. We still have a lot of dudes coming back and it’s only January. There’s more talent coming. Be patient. Go Utes!

beaslad
      Ute Fan
      @beaslad

I think you misspelled “delusions”. But I am right there with you.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I think a lot of what people are forgetting when doom and glooming…the Big 12 ain’t the PAC-10. There is no USC, Oregon, UW, etc.

There is no team heads and shoulders better than us. Yeah, we can lose. But we can also win every game. Who is the best team in the Big 12? Us? Arizona? Then there is a gap down to the next level.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I think fans are underestimating certain teams at the same time overestimating the overall conference.
        Utah’s schedule isn’t awful next season.

AlohaUte
        Ute Fan
        @alohaute

I’d say Utah, Arizona, and Oklahoma State as of right now are the strengths of the Big-12 next season. I think Kansas State, Kansas, Texas Tech, TCU, and Colorado are the next tier.

3 2

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

I think it is Arizona’s conference to lose personally. Playing at Utah is gonna be tough.

The amount of turnover on Utah’s roster is closer to a straight rebuild.

2 1

DataUte
      Ute Fan
      @scotwaye

Whatcha talking about? Utah is the bestest and the most talentful and will wipe the Big 12 like a bidet. We will win by an average of 21 points because we have Cam and Ludwig and Whitt! 😉

Ok, ok. I think we will be competitive. I think for any conference champion, you have to have a mix of obviously 1st team talent, 2nd team depth, few injuries (and at positions with better depth), and sometimes just a few plays or calls that go your way. We are 1 year removed from having a 14% chance of making the CCG on the last week to winning the championship.

Arizona will be good. Perhaps be the favorite. But KSU (new qb looked good in the bowl), KU (top RB Neal returning), Ok St. (always competitive, AA RB, CCG, won bowl), and a few others will be competitive. Others will be improving (Tech, ASU, TCU). UCF is in fertile recruiting and if developed could be a force. Road games and new teams (getting used to schemes, tendencies, stealing their play calls ahem, …) will always bring challenges.

I think realistically, we can be top 3-4. Things go well and we can certainly compete to get into the CCG which hopefully also means a spot in the 12-team CFP. Not fully knowing who will be on the team come fall, but I think the floor for expectations for me is 9 wins. Hope for 10. Optimistically, make CCG, maybe even win it, and get 1 win in the CFP.

4 1

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

That’s the point we’re not Michigan and it still took three years and a commitment for them to get there. TCU isn’t Michigan and they made it last year. Reality isn’t how many dudes are coming back. Reality is we lost 6 NFL caliber players to the draft and two key starters to the portal. It’s only January?

We got a glimpse of next years team in the Vegas bowl without the 6 plus Matthews. We can still be a good team and have a chance to win the conference but let’s be real with expectations. If everyone stayed and fully committed to next year we would have a legitimate shot to get to the final four. That might be a once in a lifetime opportunity for a non blue blood program like ours.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Illusions of 2024