In regards to the Ute name and the UofU relationship with the Ute tribe

Viewing 4 reply threads

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

I worked in Duchesne county for years. Ft Duchesne and Whiterocks (and a smattering of places around there) are what currently constitutes the Ute reservation. I can assure you all that 99% of Utes are die hard Ute fans if they care about collegiate athletics at all. Take one trip to the area and you will see VERY quickly how happy the Ute tribe is to associate with the UofU. They use the UofU ‘U,’ and UofU colors on just about everything in those towns. Heck, they named the local high school (not affiliated with the Ute tribe) the Utes, and have a U that is almost exactly identical to that of the UofU… and yeah, their colors are exactly the same.

I’m sure there are a few grumps in the crowd, but that is the case with every group.

Also, spend 15 minutes driving through the reservation, and you can immediately tell that the Ute tribe has far more important things to worry about than the UofU using their tribe’s name.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

People that aren’t part of the tribe that assume the tribe is against it, or that they find it offensive are just as bad as people that want the Ute name regardless of tribal opinion on the matter.

ProvoUteFan
      Ute Fan
      @provoutefan

You’re exactly right. I grew up in this area and the tribal members love the U of U association & drum/feather logo.

UteBacker
        Ute Fan
        @utebacker

Their halftime show each year is my favorite.  It’s an interesting presentation in that it bonds the tribe to the University and I, for one, am VERY proud of the Ute tribe and have nothing but respect for them.  I sometimes wonder if their affiliation with the University keeps them from being forgotten in their eyes.  NO disrespect there, I just think I would probably feel that way if I was a member.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

I love everything about our association with the Ute Tribe. Whatever they want to continue that association, I think we should do. I am proud of the fact that we have a great and synergistic relationship with them.

But that’s the key… whatever THEY want.
      My perception of their wants and needs may not line up with reality, and I’m fine admitting that.
      I’m not going to pretend I know what they want or need.

Anonymous
      Ute Fan
      @anonymous

Not trying to be disrespectful — just want to make a fellow Ute look good amongst non-Utes believers. “In regards” is in correct. The correct form is “in regard”. No “s”. 🙂

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football In regards to the Ute name and the UofU relationship with the Ute tribe