Inbound play: Blame Larry all you want, but I saw two guys open.

Viewing 4 reply threads

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

Barefield had the coffin corner pass, not the best spot, but damn. He also had Kuzma. Throw the ball in or call timeout.

Matthew Thomas Castleton
      Ute Fan
      @mcastleton928

Seriously. Simply a terribly executed play by Barefield at the worst possible time. Devin Daniels was wide open and should have been passed the ball. Incredibly stupid play by Barefield there. It literally cost them the game because if we inbound the ball, Oregon State has to foul and we are at the free throw line. Instead, they get the ball back withOUT us scoring and it gives them the game. Simply an incredibly terrible play.

Utes49ers
      Ute Fan
      @utes49ers

This basketball team seems to have a low basketball IQ. They just don’t play smart basketball.

TheOCUte
      Ute Fan
      @theocute

While poor decision making and head scratching shot selection late in games might point to the players, it’s hard to ignore the fact that Larry K’s teams have had systematic failures late in games since his arrival. With the exception of a senior heavy 2015-16 team Utah has been abysmal in games decided by 4 points or less under the current staff. Assuming my quick look back is decently accurate, the season break down is as follows…

2011-12: 3-3

2012-13: 2-6

2013-14: 1-8

2014-15: 2-3

2015-16: 5-2

2016-17: 1-4

Overall 14-26

Utah has invented ways to lose games over the past six seasons, it’s cost them a trip to the NCAA Tournament and if it doesn’t get cleaned up it could cost them an invite to the NIT…

BleedsRedUte
      Ute Fan
      @bleedsredute

I still put some of the blame on coach K.  I don’t think you have Barefield, a newcomer this year, handle the inbounds pass in that important situation.  

Bonam is the percentage choice.  He is a Senior, and has much more game experience.  I think it is this type of situational coaching that really separates average and above average coaches.  

Matthew Thomas Castleton
        Ute Fan
        @mcastleton928

The thing is, the Utes have been running that same in-bounds play all season long in that situation because it’s a good play to use to get a player open if the defense is denying the in-bounds pass. This really was the FIRST TIME that it didn’t work out ALL SEASON. Personally, I think that it was a really quick 5 second call. The Utes should have taken a timeout. My question is, why in God’s name were we not double teaming Stephen Thompson Jr.? He was their ONLY offensive threat and he consistently got open time after time after time.

Minnesota Ute
          Ute Fan
          @minnesotaute

I rolled it back several times, it was 4 seconds, 1 for him to receive it and 3 until the whistle.  But any player should know that at about 3 seconds if you havev’t inbounded, call a timeout.  You can’t leave it in the hands of the officials in that situation.  Incredibly stupid, especially when you KNOW you are already getting jobbed because that mugging no call was a joke.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Inbound play: Blame Larry all you want, but I saw two guys open.