Interesting observations about the Turds Down South

Viewing 4 reply threads

UTE98
      Ute Fan
      @ute98

Somehow it doesn’t feel as heated over here when we talk about TDS.

So since 1993, the first 34-31 game streaks have been very lopsided.

Overall the record is 16-7 Utah, however they won two games in a row twice 2000-2001, and 2006-2007.

During that same time Utah has:

3 game streak 1993-1995

4 game win streak 2002-2005

6 game win streak 2010-2016 (we didn’t play in 2014)

Wins with more than a TD margin during that time.

TDS – 1

Utah – 4

With the step up in recruits I expect this may be the last year TDS has a decent chance of winning for a long time unless something drastic happens, they get into a P5, even then it will take them 3 or 4 years to start developing the bench needed.

These two teams are headed in very different directions, and I just don’t see them lasting much longer with the hope. Kind of reminds me of Idaho State and U of Idaho, they were competive with Boise State in the 70s and 80s but have tanked after that.

ISU won the I-AA National Championship (1981) the year after BSU did. Idaho was the Big Sky Champions in 1985, then 1987-89. And perhaps 1992, they made the semifinals that year.

I think in 10 years we’ll look back and wonder why TDS ever mattered to us. I don’t think they’ll be doing the same, I think the hate will continue for the next 20 plus years and then will kind of die out.

ladyinred
      Ute Fan
      @ladyinred

Tds will not have a football program in 20 years if they’re not invited to a conference. Maybe not 20 but for sure in 30. They can’t sustain it with the mediocrity of their schedule. They only have 5 games that matter this year for example. Can you imagine if Utah played 8 North Dakotas? And Kalani will leave for greener pastures eventually, despite what the fans say about loyalty. Then who will they get for 1/3 the going rate? It’s a vicious cycle, and I’m tempted to feel bad for them…but then some of their fans are such insufferable tools…

Chidojuan
      Ute Fan
      @chidojuan

I’m a strange fan I guess. I don’t have any ill will toward TDS, but when we play, I want them to lose so badly that they regret walking out onto the field. Maybe it’s old fashioned, but I think the rivalry is important for bragging rights, especially concerning in state recruits. They want to know that they’re going to the best school in the state, and if we consistently win, then the in state recruiting will decline for TDS, and some of the great players here will go to a school where they can compete for a championship.

noneyadb
        Ute Fan
        @noneyadb

I don’t get the fuss over keeping instate recruits. Kids that are highly ranked and have multiple offers will choose the best school for them, unfortunately Utah is a state most local teenagers want to leave.

Kids that are seriously considering byu want that lifestyle, and no other school can compare. If Utah keeps winning and producing NFL talent on par with Alabama, Ohio St, Michigan, USC, etc. then the appeal nationally will only increase making it harder for the local 3 star athlete to get accepted. The media may make a big deal about who got the higher number of instate recruits, but how many high schools in Utah are competing on the national level? 

Utah just needs to focus on the “PolyU” brand, and athletic players that want to come to Utah, let the rest work itself out.

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

I’ll never get over hating BYU.  Too many games suffered in the 80s where Rice Stadium had perhaps 1/4 or more wearing blue, and Provo was just a terrible experience with some of the worst verbal abuse I’ve ever had attending a game in any sport at any level.

Don’t think any experience will top being in Provo when we finally beat them in 1993 on Chris’s 50+ yard field goal.

Mr Chainsaw
      Ute Fan
      @mrchainsaw

A few years ago, I remember talking to some USU fans during football season.  This was before the GA/MWC years so the teams were pretty bad.  Utah was playing USU that year and talking to the fans they considered Utah their main rival.  At the time it blew me away because as a Utah fan I couldn’t care less what USU was doing, I just wanted to beat them when we played them just like I wanted to beat Wyoming or New Mexico.

I feel like the BYU rivalry is turning that direction.  We are their main rival and the most important game they play each year.  To us they are still a rival, but I’d choose a win over USC or Washington over them anyday.  It means so much more.  

Great1Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tribute

With the step up in recruits I expect this may be the last year TDS has a decent chance of winning for a long time unless something drastic happens, they get into a P5, even then it will take them 3 or 4 years to start developing the bench needed.

I agree that if nothing changes, Utah should win the bulk of the games over time.  We are recruiting better players.  We have the money to pay better coaches.  Our players play against a higher level of opponents week in and out and the expectations are higher for us.  We should beat BYU consistantly.

However, I think there is always a chance to lose this game.  Those guys always get so amped for the game.  As BYU legend Kyle Van Noy said, its BYU’s superbowl.  When you have an opponent that focusess so much on one game, wierd stuff can happen once in a while–just not very often.  

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

Being “amped-up” can only take you so far.  In fact, Bronco used to blame being too keyed-up for the Utah game for TDS’s 1st Quarter mistakes and penalties.

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

I always thought it was their lack of discipline that caused mistakes and penalties.

PlainsUte
            Ute Fan
            @plainsute

Wrong, not fully invested in position mastery.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums They So Poo Poo Interesting observations about the Turds Down South