Is it possible Utah’s secondary may actually get better than last year?

Viewing 4 reply threads

UteDuke
      Ute Fan
      @uteduke

The secondary has been one of the main question marks after losing every starter but Chase Hansen to graduation or the draft. That is a major obstacle for any team to overcome. That being said, there is a fair chance that the Utah secondary could be even better this year than last if some big things go our way. We might have what we were missing last year: depth. While the team is short on experience it isn’t lacking in talent. We could have a depth chart that looks something like this: 

CB: Tyrone Smith, Julian Blackmon, Casey Hughes

CB: Jaylon Johnson, Tereke Lewis, John Johnson (Jaylon’s brother who is rumored to possibly transfer here from UCLA)

NB: Boobie Hobbs, Javelin Guidry

FS: Corrion Ballard, Jordan Fogal

SS: Chase Hansen, Marquise Blair

I don’t pretend to have put those players in any sort of order, I just listed them by possible position. Looking at that though, don’t you get a bit excited? Last year any time we took Porter, Allen, or Hatfield out for a rest we were in trouble. This group doesn’t look like they’d have that problem. We realistically could be fielding two units worth of starting caliber players.

Disclaimer: I don’t claim to know anything about John Johnson’s likelihood to transfer here, I’m just listing it as a possibility that would significantly boost Utah’s secondary. He was a starter at UCLA, so I would expect him to contend for a starting spot if he did come to Utah.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

It seems like there is a lot of quiet confidence this year. Last year, Whitt thought he could win the PAC-12 and he could have had the offense shown up. After the bowl game came and went with no changes, Whitt canned ARod. 

The whispers around are that the Utes are eyeing another run at the south. They like their D from top to bottom. The DL is better than last year, the LB’ers are better than last year, the safties will be the same at worst and the CB may be better than last year. 

Moss, DHC and Shyne and Green may be better than last year. 

Our WR’s should be better than last year. 

Our QB’s had better be better.

That leaves the OL. BIG IF. 

I still think we are 7-9 wins. 

Stil….

Anonymous
        Inactive

OL is the big question mark as they take time to develop. There was a big difference in the USC OL that Alabama, Stanford and Utah saw vs what UW saw. That was development. We’re going to need to see that on the OL, plus avoiding injuries.

uteboi
        Ute Fan
        @uteboi

the safties will be the same at worst

Don’t really agree with this…we’re losing what Morgan Scalley called “a once in 10 years type player” in Marcus Williams. The last safety we had go in the 2nd round of the draft was Eric Weddle. Corrion looks good, but I don’t know if he’ll have the same impact as Marcus. 

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

Ballard is NOT Marcus. BUT, Hansen is a “once in 10 years type safety”. Losing Marcus hurts, but an improved Hansen will help take up that slack and Ballard will help as well. 

We are just fine at safety. There is a chance we are replacing both Hansen and Ballard next spring. 

zeous
        Ute Fan
        @zeous

Way too much hyperbole for me.  I won’t hold my breath and will just wait to see what they actually do on the field, as always.  That said, it’s nice to have such optimism be plausible.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I’d like to see it. Seems like we got burned deep a lot on the corners but maybe that happens to everyone.

Larry B
        Ute Fan
        @larryb

I may be in the minority when I say this but I don’t think Hatfield will be hard to replace. He seemed to regress every year, and his senior season was frustrating to watch. He was small and got burned quite often.

UteDuke
          Ute Fan
          @uteduke

No, I think I’d have to agree with you on Hatfield. He definitely had his moments, but he just didn’t seem to have his head in it this last season. I thought he had a much better showing his junior year than as a senior. 

Outside of Marcus, who is a clear NFL prospect, I think the hardest departed secondary player to replace may actually be Justin Thomas. The guy wasn’t in the spotlight much, but I think that may be a testament to just how good he really was. I feel like opposing QBs almost never threw his way.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hatfield was talent wasted. Continual suspensions and issues hindered his progress. He was his own worst impediment. I hope he grows up….sometime.

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

Is Blair definitely not playing LB?

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Is it possible Utah’s secondary may actually get better than last year?