Isn’t this what we want

Viewing 4 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I was hopeful that everyone would come back and we would be a top-ten team in 2024. But it isn’t going to happen (at least everyone coming back). That being said, don’t we want our players to be good enough that they are being considered for the NFL? We want guys like Phillips, JJ, Marcus Williams, Bolles, etc. who are so good that they can leave for the NFL before their time at Utah is up.

What is happening to the Utes this year, happens to the big boys every season. We want to be one of the big boys and we are. The hard part to swallow is that we didn’t get the benefit of an amazing season in 2023 because of a terrible amount of injuries.

I am grateful for what these guys all did that contributed to our two PAC 12 championships. I wish them all well in their NFL endeavors. I would have liked them to have stayed around for the 2024 season, but I completely understand why they are moving on.

Last night I was a bit sad, but this morning I realized this is where I want the Ute football program to be. Now we need to find some more studs to fill their shoes.

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

Of course it’s what we want. And it’s what’s best for the players.

But as someone with zero interest in the NFL, I selfishly wish we could see these guys in a Utah uniform for another year.

9 1

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Is this what we want? What I want is a return to the old days of no portal, limited transfers, and the expectation that you would have a player for four years and then he would go to the NFL as a 22 year old. In other words, predictability. Sure, the way the system is shaping up is good for SOME players but it surely isn’t good for the fans.

And without fans, there’s no college football. After all, there’s nothing inherently valuable about having football or any other athletic skills. You don’t get paid or receive adulation because you have them, that only happens because millions of people watch it.

And fans can be fickle…if Utah suddenly stops being a winning team because it continually loses it’s best players on a yearly basis to the portal or the NFL, this after a couple of decades of success, do you think that Rice Eccles will continually selling out? No, people will find other things to do with their time and crowds at RES will start looking like the ones at California Memorial Stadium. Why? Because a lot of people, myself included, will feel that all involved (players, universities, networks, etc…) have broken the terms of the unwritten contract for their own benefit.

Jim Vanderhoof
        Ute Fan
        @jvhoofs

Well said Miami. We all think that way but reality doesn’t agree!

Jim Vanderhoof
        Ute Fan
        @jvhoofs

Look no further to Utah Basketball to prove what Miami is saying.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Miami, I agree with NIL and the portal. I was only speaking to kids going to the NFL. The portal and the NIL are terrible for college football IMO. That being said, we have to play the game if we want to be viable.

I hope in time, this nonsense will be adjusted. Look at the Oklahoma QB who already transferred from UCF. He is now going to Oregon where I am sure Nike is paying him millions. I hate this.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Ute Fan
      @jvhoofs

So true proud Ute. The years of futility and the slow climb to the top has been amazing. More than I ever dreamed. Next year could have been the pinnacle. Only a select few can reload year after year and make a playoff run.

Michigan is where I hoped we would be next year. Lots of 4-6 year guys that all come back for a championship run. Hoping to send Whitt out with at least a playoff bid. Wasn’t want to be. The last few days I’ve come to grips with it. Enjoy what we have. Who knows what the future holds. Judges, lawyers, NIL, transfer portal, NCAA, $$$ now have control of what ice was a simple pleasure. Hope all our guys make it to the NFL and success and happiness. Transfers get their bags and invest it wisely.

lgt4141
      Ute Fan
      @lgt4141

One upside to Utes going to the NFL is it will help recruit players from the portal. Utah seems to get every year a couple of guys in the portal who contribute immediately. The more Utes to the NFL the better.

That being said I do agree that I don’t love the direction of college football with the transfer portal and NIL. It’ll be interesting to see how it all pans out. The 12 team playoff should be interesting next year.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Isn’t this what we want