Jimmy Lake in hot water

Viewing 4 reply threads

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

He hits a player and then pushes him in the back. Doesn’t look super horrible, but it’s a bad look. Wouldn’t be surprised if he gets canned.
      https://mobile.twitter.com/christiancaple/status/1457211812701609988

2 2

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I see it as a get your head in the game type moment. It is a bad look. 

I find it pretty convenient for Washington when they want him gone and possibly find a way to avoid any buyout option? I would assume this is a fired with cause type thing in his contract.

I could be wrong on both accounts of course. 

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

That’s exactly what I think it is. If he were winning, they might suspend him for a game or just sweep it under the rug. As it is, they’ll use it to lower or get rid of the buy out by firing him for cause.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

Minimal contact. We shall see.

3 1

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I was watching the game when it happened.  I thought, “this isn’t good.”  Actually, it was a slap at the side of the helmet.  I don’t think it should cost him his job.  But, we live in a new world where everything is reviewed; i.e. Scalley’s text from 6 years ago  I would not be surprised that he is canned for this because UW is not playing well.  Had Saban done it, he would get a slap on the hand.

Mule
        Ute Fan
        @mule

I agree, pretty dumb if he gets canned from this. Really just an excuse for the school to fire a bad coach. If they do decide to fire him, it’s a bad look for the school IMO. Coaching candidates: “If I come to coach there, are you going to let me coach my players?”

GreatNorthernUte
        Ute Fan
        @greatnorthernute

It was more than a slap on the back of the helmet.  It was an attempted strike to the face and a push to the back, both with violence.  I have never seen Whit do such a thing in a game.

Viewed in the heat of the moment, it is perhaps explainable.  But I suspect it gives a glimpse into his demeanor in practice as well.

Combine with a team playing well below its talent level, and it has a real stench to it.  UW plays like a team that doesnt really want to be there.

Between this and his asinine “academic prowess” comments this week, UW has a problem.  Too expensive to fire him but he will possibly get a one game suspension and be told to hire new coordinators who arent necessarily loyal to him.

Mule
          Ute Fan
          @mule

“…both with violence.” Look, I get that KW wouldn’t do this. But this wasn’t anything violent. That is a way overblown description of what happened. And the fact that the AD steps in and says “we’re looking into this”? Again IMO, this is a worse look now for the program than had they just looked into it and then decide if there was anything to do about it.

I do agree though that overall, a pretty bad week for Jimmy. Should hv called in sick! As a Ute fan, I hope he stays there for at least as long as Clay Helton did at USC! 🙂

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

I think this is a nothing burger. Yes it is a bad look to loose composure to tell someone not to loose composure. When I saw it I assumed he was reacting to something he had been saying all week. He brushed a football player with a helmet with a piece of plastic paper and gave him a push in what I assumed was a message to the whole team. I like a coach that gets after players for running their mouth after a play, however, he did it completely the wrong way. I would not compare this to hitting a player. It is a bad look but not violent. But then, I grew up in the 50s and was accustomed to seeing teachers/coaches get after mistakes with some mustard.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Agreed. But with this statement from the AD, I don’t think he’ll be there long. Like I said, if he were winning, it would go away.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Pac-12 Jimmy Lake in hot water