Josh Furlong Article on KSL

Viewing 1 reply thread

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Utah simplified its defensive schemes a bit, will it solve the earlier problems?

https://www.ksl.com/article/50501908/utah-simplified-its-defensive-schemes-a-bit-will-it-solve-the-earlier-problems

Generally I agree with the points raised. Simplification which I think means GETTING THE DEFENSE SET. Is what needed to be done.

My favorite defensive plays of the season was Clark Phillips corner blitz sack. Wish I had a video.

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

Indeed the safety blitz by Phillips was a great moment in that game.

utahby05
        Ute Fan
        @utahby05

I heard an interview with R.J. Hubert. He actually said, Phillips blitzed by mistake. But, it all worked out and he was just glad Phillips got home  / got to the QB…  

Reminded me of Cam throwing the flea flicker vs USC last year. Also a mistake that worked out. 😁

Go Utes !!

tanute3
          Ute Fan
          @tanute3

What’s the story about the flea flicker last year? (Such a funny name for a play btw)

utahby05
            Ute Fan
            @utahby05

Last yr vs USC, Cam got a play from the sideline and thought it was a Flea Flicker pass. So, the offense lined up in a formation to run a Flea Flicker. 

Just prior to start of play, a time-out was called. I believe USC called it. Anyway, when Cam and the offense went to the sideline, they told the coaches they were excited to run the flea flicker. And the Coaches were like, that is not the play we called. 

Anyway, the offense was excited to go flea flicker and told the Coaches it could work. 

So, they run back on field, run flea flicker to Vele. The result : TD just before halftime. 

Awesome mistake! 🤣

Tony (admin)
              Admin/Founder
              @admin

Awesome story!

Rick
              Ute Fan
              @utebiquitous

There’s a little more to the story. Remember, they began the play right as the whistle blew so the handoff to the runningback had been made, he just hadn’t turned and pitched the ball yet. When they went to the sideline, the coaches asked Rising what he was running at which point he said the Flea Flicker.

I love that story. The touchdown opened the floodgates.

The Phillips blitz story is a good one as well – especially because Hubert had the intelligence to recognize quickly what was happening and move from playing centerfield on the play to covering Phillips’ man. That’s great leadership and intelligence – attributes of a good to great team. We’re getting there.

UrbanLiar
            Ute Fan
            @urbanliar

Explanation Deleted, great explanation already provided above!

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Josh Furlong Article on KSL