Knew we wouldn’t win but..

Viewing 1 reply thread
      2 1

Northernuteah
      Ute Fan
      @fikstad21

I knew coming in our odds of winning weren’t high. A win would have been great! But reality we were the underdog. However, I didn’t think we should not score a single TD. A DC shouldn’t have to only prepare for run up the middle, if 28 is in storm
      Him, and follow Barnes eyes. No disrespect to Barnes as I have tried not to ridicule him on his defaults. But Somewhere along the lines it should have been taught in practice to not lead with his eyes right? Every play you knew what receiver was getting the ball thrown his way.

8 1

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Barnes was good because the defense had to stop the run. Jackson is so much better than we give him credit for. When he was healthy and getting 6-7 yards a run, we can beat USC. When Jackson’s hurt, like OSU, Baylor games, Barnes isn’t good enough.

Once Jackson went down and we kept Barnes in, we were screwed.

Barnes is what he is. Tons of heart and grit, but not a QB who can take us anywhere.

It’s Rose or Johnson time.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

without trying to restart the Barnes/Johnson, who is worse debate.,, Johnson was 8-23 in the Oregon State game you are crediting to Barnes.

Ultimately, both have played passably against bad defenses and terrible when up against a competent DLine. We see QB’s wilt under the Utah pressure D almost every week. I’m not sure why some expect the Utah QB’s to be immune to the same.

highlandute7
          Ute Fan
          @highlandute7

Needs to be more blame put on the oline. They have been bad most of the year when they should be better. Hard to run or pass without a better oline. Doesn’t matter who the qb is.

Utegator
            Ute Fan
            @utegator

This. Our o line is average at best. They looked great against a bad Cal team. I’m not sure how many millions you need to keep telling them to “run it up the middle”.

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

Good point. I’ve never been in the Johnson camp either. I’m in the “pray for Rose or Rising” camp.

That being said, if it’s Barnes or Johnson…eh. We are in trouble. Then I think I’m in the Barnes with Johnson running 20 plays a game camp.

NashvilleUte
        Ute Fan
        @nashvilleute05

Unless he gets hurt, Barnes is our QB for the rest of the year. Rose is probably going to medical red shirt and maybe transfer depending on what our QB room looks like next year (if Cam stays)

Johnson is not the answer (until he learns to throw with consistency). Alternating between the two of them would be ideal if that wasn’t a dead giveaway to the defense of what kind of play we’re running…

Beating USC clearly made us overconfident in our abilities. USC is struggling with Cal at the moment, so they were WAY overrated. If Cal beats them, they might not win again this year.

At this point 9-3 is our ceiling, which would still be a very successful year given all our injuries.

Go UTES!

Xanthis
          Ute Fan
          @xanthis

Rose can’t medically redshirt. You can ask for a medical waiver only if you get hurt and are out of eligibility.

NashvilleUte
            Ute Fan
            @nashvilleute05

Thanks for the clarification. That sucks hard for Rose to lose a year with nothing to show for it.

2008 National Champ
              Ute Fan
              @cptmrgn05

He didn’t lose a year, he just hasn’t played. Had Rising come back as hoped for the start of the season, Rose wasn’t going to get more than garbage time reps anyway, even without the injury in camp.

People think medical’s are automatic and they aren’t. I would question whether Rose would be eligible since he’s apparently recovered and is practicing fully with the team. A season ending injury is the main qualifier for a medical and that’s just not the case here. Not playing per coach’s decision isn’t going to get you an extra year.

Caliman
        Ute Fan
        @elguapoute

Barnes hater ALERT…. The entire Utah team laid an egg, this is not all on Barnes, if Rose was any better, he’d would have already started. Utahs’ QB room is a mess. Must go to the portal and bring someone in or B12 will be a disaster on 2024.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Knew we wouldn’t win but..