Kudos to BYU

Viewing 3 reply threads
      25 4

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Kudos to BYU, their coaches, OL/DL/QB

BYU almost had a perfect storm. They did everything right for 2 quarters and 10 mins and then just ran out of steam.

First, kudos to Kalani. He had BYU ready to play. They came out on fire and hit us in the teeth and hit us hard. They were flying around and playing their guts out. Good defensive calls taking us out of our offense and disrupting us.

Kudos to Grimes. He called a hell of a game. He was perfect in the first half and he came out firing in the second. I know he is being criticized for going conservation but that’s a bunch of hogwash. Wilson had three terrible throws, one that could have been picked off, one that should have been picked off and one that was picked off. Grimes had a 20 point lead and a QB that had made A LOT of mistakes. He was right to go conservative.

Wilson had just thrown a pick 6, Grimes came out and got it back, pushing the lead back to 20. He just needed the defense to not give up 35 points in 20 mins. They couldn’t do that.

The ONE criticism I have for him is the third and fourth down play calls. I run it third down, not pass and then do an RPO on 4th. But BYU’s OL has played well all night, why not let your hogs go get a first down for you? This is still football right?

But, all in all, Grimes did a great job.

Now, onto Utah. Utah did what they needed to do. They played like a team that won a P5 division against a 6-5 G5 team that was playing their super bowl.

It’s kind of sad how far below Utah BYU has fallen. There BYU did EVERYTHING right. Utah was down their starting QB and HB. Utah had two HUGE blunders that helped BYU to an easy 14 points.

And they just ran out of steam. Utah is just better. Deeper, bigger, faster. And once BYU ran out of steam, Utah put them away.

35-7 in the second half. Sheesh. Kudos to Utah as well. They took BYU’s best shot, regrouped and delivered a knockout blow.

And I’ll say it again: Shelley is so cool. Just everything he does, he just looks good doing it.

At the end of the day, this game boiled down to one thing:

A division winning P5 team vs a struggling G5 team. Kudos to Kalani for getting his team ready and delivering their best blow. BYU played out of their minds. Utah is just better.

13 9

UtMtBiker
      Ute Fan
      @utmtbiker

Kudos?  I hate this post.  It’s CHAMPIONSHIP WEEK! Why would any self respecting UTE fan want to talk about those dorks from Provo during this week? 

16 1

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

I for one am pleased to see our fans showing good sportsmanship and giving credit to last week’s opponent.  Sure we played poorly much of the game and had some costly mistakes, but I have lots of respect for a hungry opponent who hasn’t tasted victory against us in a long time and played their hearts out.    And I admire Corbin Kaufusi for suiting up and playing through his injuries.  He was a monster out there. 

Next August, we’ll need to show up before the middle of the third quarter if we are to get out of Provo with another win.

But next up is the Huskies.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Yep agree with you.

I don’t agree with taking the ball away from Wilson he doesn’t have much to throw to besides Bushman. BUT he is your best player especially after Hadley went down. TT made adjustments and won the game Grimes had no adjustments available which is unfortunate. 

It is sad to see TDS fall this far. It won’t get better either. 

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I disagree. I think Grimes made the right call going away from Wilson. Like I mentioned, he made three terrible throws with no pressure from Utah. Utah made him pay on one of those. 

Odds are, if BYU decides to sling the ball all over the place with Utah playing their starters and blitzing, Wilson throws another couple of picks and the game quickly gets out of hand. 

Like I said, all he needed was the defense to stay strong. They were up 20. They win going conservative 90% of the time there. 

Utah is just better. 

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Yes I guess my point is if you are looking at chances the highest probability to me is Wilson making plays with his feet and hoping Bushman or another gets free. 

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

It is NOT sad to see BYU fall this far.

I want BYU to turn into Utah State post-John L. Smith and pre-Gary Andersen.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Pity is always one of the worst forms of insult. I think it is worst than apathy. I pity TDS. 

prestitute
          Ute Fan
          @prestitute

It is sad to see them fall this far *if* we still have to play them. I don’t want a stressful, sometimes competitive anchor on our schedule. I would prefer they be good if we are going to have to play them. If we don’t keep playing them, I am fine with them sucking forever or being ok or whatever. I care about BYU as far as it has to do with the Utes. Other than that, they are just a point of morbid curiosity.

BJA 13
          Ute Fan
          @bja13

They’re almost there.  

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Kudos to BYU