Ute Fan
      @cjd1

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

He has to go. Write to Ruth Watkins.

User Suspended
      @a2ute

Larry Scott is almost as despicable as coach K.

Neither has done a thing to help the University of Utah!  I am so outrage right now!

highlandute7
      Ute Fan
      @highlandute7

How does he get away with this? We all need to notify Ruth Watkins and Mark Harlan about this as this is completely unacceptable. 

Call out the Pac12 twitter account and all other schools, anything that gets more exposure to this.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

Unreal.

2 9

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

I’m sure I’ll be in the minority here, but I don’t think it is Utah’s place or the place of our fans to call for Larry Scott to be fired unless he is breaking the law or tries to kick us out of the conference. Without LS, we would be in the MWC.

There’s a lot Larry needs to change about how he is running the conference, especially when it comes to things like this, but I just think it looks bad for a school like Utah to call for his job given where we came from and what he did for us.

Let the rest of the conference go after him. 

8 1

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

What did Larry Scott do exactly for Utah?  Maybe I am seeing what Utah did and earned that conference spot. There is something to that. Things are earned and you don’t owe anything to anyone. Scott has sold I believe two contract renewals and if anything hurting the University. 

Do I care about the conferences interests? Yes when they align with the number one priority Utah’s. 

Utah also already paid for whatever it owes the conference in taking a reduced payout for three years I believe. 

1 1

UteThunder
          Ute Fan
          @utethunder

I’ll just put my reply to everyone who disagrees with me here:

We didn’t “earn” our way into the Pac-10. We made ourselves an attractive candidate who the Pac-10 decided to invite at the urging of Larry Scott. The Pac-10 was deadset against expansion until Larry got the job and convinced the Pac-10 presidents it was in their best interest to expand.

Without Larry Scott as the Pac-10/12 commissioner, Utah would be stuck in the MWC with BYU and Boise State.

“Earned our way in . . .” pfft! Someone please tell me what criteria we met that forced the Pac-10 to invite us.

TheJuggernaut
            Ute Fan
            @thejuggernaut

Had the PAC 10 not expanded Utah would have been invited to the Big 12 along with TCU.

UteThunder
              Ute Fan
              @utethunder

Maybe. Maybe not. We’ll never know and considering where we are, I’m fine with that.

7 1

Italy88
        Ute Fan
        @itacoatiara22

Yes.  I’d say you are in the minority.  Implying that Larry Scott is owed something by Utah/Ute fans is ridiculous, and assumes that Utah didn’t earn their way into the conference.  There are very few businesses that would allow such reckless spending when the business isn’t performing well.

3 1

Puget Ute
          Ute Fan
          @pugetute

Larry Scott has done exactly zero for Utah after the minute he walked out of the PAC-12 announcement conference.

I think he should be fired, and required to pay back the millions of dollars he was fronted by the conference for his housing allowance. 

Then hire whatever consulting firm got the upcoming ACC Network added to DirecTV to manage the network negotiations. 

7 1

prestitute
        Ute Fan
        @prestitute

You are in the minority here. He is not our savior, and the only reason he took Utah is because he couldn’t get Texas. We don’t owe him anything. 

He is BAD AT HIS JOB. 

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Is he using the hotel suite for Pac-12 business like schmoosing potential TV sponsors and such, or is this for his private luxury?   Need to ask that question first.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

Unless he can schmooze DirecTV into carrying the network, IT’S NOT WORTH IT.

PlainsUte
          Ute Fan
          @plainsute

Good point, for that kind of money he needs to show a big win such as DirecTV.   That’s also where his argument about his salary being more like a TV exec than a sports commissioner is off as well – doesn’t deserve TV Exec money if he can’t perform as a TV Exec and get carriage on both big satellite services. 

Matthew Thomas Castleton
          Ute Fan
          @mcastleton928

Um, do you know why other conferences have their networks on DirecTV but not the Pac-12 (including the upcoming ACC Network)? It’s because those other networks all have a major sports network as their partial owner, giving them leverage over DirecTV in negotiations. The SEC Network and the upcoming ACC Network are both partially owned by ESPN. The Big Ten Network is partially owned by Fox Sports. The Pac-12 Networks aren’t. That’s the difference. They’re wholly owned by the conference, which is the reason why they can’t get anything done. They don’t have the leverage at the negotiating table to get a reasonable deal done. There is even more precedence for this because if you remember, even the old Mountain West Sports Network was on DirecTV. That’s because it was partially owned by Comcast and CBS Sports. Of course, the trade off of all these leagues having their conference TV networks partially owned by major sports networks is that said major sports networks take a share of the profits from the conference networks they partially own. With the Pac-12 wholly owning their network, they also get all the revenue generated by it. Which begs the question do you sacrifice potential revenue for wider distribution? Or, would the better idea be to sell an ownership share of the Pac-12 Networks to a major sports network to gain more leverage at the negotiating table, likely leading to more distribution, but lower revenue? It is a trade off really. However, it can also be argued that even if they were to sell an ownership share to a major sports network (such as NBC Sports, who needs more content), would the wider distribution lead to more potential revenue, thus negating the potential revenue lost via giving up sole ownership?

mesovanhorny
      Ute Fan
      @mesovanhorny

Let’s start a campaign…if every PAC12 fan in town for the tourney dropped by the Aria with a “gift” for Larry, & had it delivered to his suite…yeah, that’d be fun.  Gift wrapped boxes containing dog food, spam, a box of screws, a roll of pennies to help the PAC12 network, etc.  Maybe a little note.  Nice job, Limo Larry.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

Send some “bill to room” call girls up there! Better yet, drag queens.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Larry Scott staying 4 nights @ $7500 per night PAC12 BB Tournament