More offseason football talk…

Viewing 3 reply threads

Anonymous
      Inactive

Here is a question for next year. Covey will be returning next year and I am curious to know what the consensus is if there is any drop-off because of the 2-year hiatus. How do returned missionaries fare their 1st year back?

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Man, I can’t wait for him to come back. He was so fun. I was a non-believer, but he converted me. It will be fun to see him in Taylor’s offense when we run 2-3 slot WR’s. He should excel. 

4 1

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I expect him to be bigger and slower.  Maybe he’s keeping in shape.

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

My impression is that generally speaking the returned missionaries need a full year of conditioning to return to pre-mission form (if they ever recover). It is the rare exception (although there certainly have been some) where a returned missionary was able to immediately step back into the team without missing a beat. However, I would not be suprised if Covey is that exception. Primarily because his talent is speed/shiftiness – things that can be somewhat preserved on a mission. Players that require intense lifting routines and loads of strength suffer most on a mission because there is little to no access to good weight training; whereas there is typically an opportunity to go run, jump rope, etc. Covey also strikes me as the type of guy that is really driven to stay fit, so I don’t imagine he will let himself get too soft phyiscally on his mission.

I think he will do great in the Coach Taylor offense, so here’s to hoping that Covey is the exception to the rule.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football More offseason football talk…