My assessment of the regular season.

Viewing 3 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

We have now completed our 12 game regular season.  I expected us to win the South which we did.  So, in that respect – the Utes met my expectation.  However, I figured that we would have to have a 10-2 or 11-1 record to win the South.  But, face it – the South was not very good this year.

There were three times this season where the Utes faced some major adversity.  I admit that all three times – I had given up on them.  I think this is a result of our previous PAC12 experience and bad play in November.

Adversity 1. We lost a game we whould have won against WSU.  We were 0-2 in PAC12 play.  I thought we had lost our chance to winniong the South.  However, starting with Stanford the next week – we saw a totally different offense.  We scored 40+ points for four straight weeks.  It was very fun.

Adversity 2. We laid an egg at ASU.  But, still only trailed by 1 going into the 4th.  We got killed.  We lost our QB for the season in the game and our 1000 yard rusher during the week.  I admit that I thought we were doomed and may be hard pressed to win another game.  They proved me wrong with nice wins against Oregon and Colorado.

Adversity 3. We fell behind 20-0 to BYU in the first half.  We had more three and outs than we did first downs.  BYU had all of the momentum.  I admit that I had lost hope.  There was no way we would win.  But, once again I was wrong.  Somehow these guys came back and won.

In the end – I think the theme of this season was overcoming adversity.  I am impressed with how they were able to do that on three different occasions.  

Now on to the next level.  We will have to dig deep to win this Friday night.  But, they have done it before.

Go Utes!!!

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

Thank you.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Mine:

The coaches and players finally figured out that this is football and not ballroom dancing or jitterbug or just incompetence training. They realized that Zack Moss played RB for the Utes. They realized that QBs are not RBs for a reason (jury’s still out on that one). If you send receivers out on routes maybe, I dunno, throw them the ball? Receivers figured out their hands are not actually cinder blocks.

Once all that got worked out they showed to be a pretty good football team. Too bad it takes until game 4 to figure out what should have been known in week 1 of fall camp. 

This late acknowledgement cost Utah a shot at the CFP…again. 

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

My assessment of the regular season: I was entertained. Every down of Utah football was worth the entertainment dollars spent. Great year! 

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football My assessment of the regular season.